Republicans tap Indian American Jindal to counter Obama speechFebruary 12th, 2009 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb.12 (ANI): Republicans have zeroed into Indian American Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal to give their official response to President Obama’’s February 24 address to a joint session of Congress.
“Governor Jindal embodies what I have long said: the Republican Party must not be simply the party of ”opposition,” but the party of better solutions,” the Washington Times quoted House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (Ohio Republican) as saying while announcing the partys decision. After being defeated in last year’’s presidential elections, the Republicans have been searching for faces to carry their message, and for many, Jindal is an obvious choice. Jindal, 37, the son of immigrants from India, is not only youthful, but has also amassed substantial legislative and executive experience.
He won Louisiana’’s governorship in 2007, and some Republicans thought he would have been a good vice-presidential pick for Senator John McCain in last year’’s election. He was a two-term congressman before winning the governorship.
Like Obama, Jindal has made ethics reforms a centerpiece of his own agenda in Louisiana. Obama’’s address is similar to a State of the Union address, though it is not technically the same.
Jindal’’s response, a tradition for the party out of power, will be televised after Obama speaks. He will speak from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. (ANI)
- Bobby Jindal 'not interested' in running for president in 2012 - Nov 18, 2010
- Democrats lose House, cling to Senate, Nikki Haley wins (Roundup) - Nov 03, 2010
- Bobby Jindal- among 12 potential GOP candidates for 2012 presidential polls? - Nov 13, 2010
- Bobby Jindal wins 2nd term in landslide - Oct 23, 2011
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- Bobby Jindal blasts Obama, helps Romney - Jul 17, 2012
- Bobby Jindal intensifies attack on Obama - Jul 19, 2012
- Bobby Jindal to give Republican response to Obama address - Feb 25, 2009
- Jindal defends Romney visit to Louisiana - Sep 01, 2012
- Republican rising star Jindal to give response to Obama - Feb 12, 2009
- Bobby Jindal's support base grows - Sep 02, 2011
- As hurricane hits home, Bobby Jindal takes charge - Aug 29, 2012
- Indian-Americans get prime spots at US presidential conventions - Aug 21, 2012
- Bobby Jindal backs Romney as Santorum quits - Apr 11, 2012
- Romney's path cleared; gets Bobby Jindal's backing (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: baton rouge louisiana, better solutions, bobby jindal, centerpiece, executive experience, governorship, john a boehner, john mccain, joint session of congress, louisiana governor, minority leader, ohio republican, presidential elections, republican party, republicans, senator john mccain, state of the union, state of the union address, term congressman, washington times