Reports say dozens trapped after hangar collapses at Florida airportApril 1st, 2011 - 12:39 am ICT by BNO News
LAKELAND, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) — Several news organization on Thursday reported that as many as 70 people are trapped after a hangar collapsed at Lakeland Linder Regional Airport in Polk County, Florida. The airport did not immediately confirm the reports.
WESH-TV, CNN and other media outlets said severe weather had collapsed a hangar at the airport, where the Sun ‘n’ Fun Aviation Fair was taking place. An operator who answered the phone at the airport was unable to confirm the reports.
“Yes, we’ve been getting reports of that but I cannot confirm that to be the truth,” the woman said. When asked if a building had collapsed, she said: “I have not been able to confirm that.”
The Polk County Sheriff’s Office would not comment on the media reports and referred to Lakeland Police instead, who did not immediately respond to media inquiries. Photos on social networking websites showed that several aircraft had been damaged.
Other details were not immediately available.
- Severe weather ravages Florida airport, several injured - Apr 01, 2011
- Florida police: Suspect shot dead in Lakeland - Mar 31, 2010
- Trayvon Martin shooter released on $150,000 bond - Apr 24, 2012
- Aircraft crashes near Winter Haven, FL, airport, one dead - Feb 26, 2010
- Small plane crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida - May 16, 2010
- Police respond to possible hostage situation in Lakeland, Florida - Apr 13, 2010
- U.S. police re-open investigation into 1981 death of actress Natalie Wood - Nov 18, 2011
- Small plane carrying two crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida - May 16, 2010
- Trayvon Martin shooter turns himself in after bond revoked - Jun 05, 2012
- Tiger Woods Suffered A 'Fat Lip' Following The Accident - Dec 31, 2009
- Two killed when small plane crashes in northern Arkansas - Sep 08, 2010
- 17 Florida Schools on Lockdown After 'Credible Threat' - Nov 11, 2010
- Six feared dead after small plane crashes into the Arizona mountains - Nov 24, 2011
- Six dead in eastern Kentucky shooting massacre - Sep 12, 2010
- Aircraft collide in mid-air over Boulder County, Colorado, at least two dead - Feb 07, 2010
Tags: aviation fair, bno, cnn, collapses, dozens, florida airport, hangar, lakeland florida, lakeland linder regional airport, linder, media inquiries, media outlets, news organization, photos, polk county florida, polk county sheriff, severe weather, social networking, truth, tv cnn