Reporter murdered in HondurasDecember 29th, 2010 - 11:25 am ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, Dec 29 (IANS/EFE) Radio reporter Henry Suazo was gunned down Tuesday in La Masica, a town on Honduras’ Caribbean coast, his employer said.Suazo was shot dead as he was leaving his home, according to his employer HRN, which cited an account from Jorge Abilio Diaz, owner of a television station in La Masica.
The slaying of the HRN correspondent brings to 10 the number of journalists murdered this year in Honduras.
All of the crimes remain unsolved.
President Porfirio Lobo’s government has requested help from the US and other allies to investigate the killings of journalists.
Human rights groups and advocates of press freedom have pressed Tegucigalpa to track down and punish the killers.
Honduras has also seen dozens of political activists and union members slain since the June 2009 coup that toppled elected President Mel Zelaya, now living in exile in the Dominican Republic.
Most Latin American countries refuse to recognise Lobo’s government, which came to power after a November 2009 election boycotted by more than half of eligible voters.
- Probe sought into Honduran journalist's murder - Dec 30, 2010
- 58 gays, lesbians slain this year in Honduras - Dec 15, 2011
- Cops beat protesting journalists in Honduras - Dec 14, 2011
- Journalist kidnapped in Honduras - May 10, 2012
- `WikiLeaks expose shows US complicity in Honduran coup' - Nov 30, 2010
- Mexico renews diplomatic ties with Honduras - Aug 01, 2010
- Two held for murder of Honduran journalist - May 19, 2012
- Former Honduras president says US behind coup against him - Jun 29, 2010
- Radio host murdered in Honduras - Aug 26, 2010
- Deadly prison fire an accident: Honduras - Feb 22, 2012
- Honduras' ousted president accepts exile deal - Jan 24, 2010
- Ricky Martin expresses solidarity with flood victims - Oct 18, 2011
- De facto Honduran leader to leave presidential palace - Jan 22, 2010
- Shooting at Honduran detention center kills 9 - Oct 16, 2011
- Lawmaker gunned down in Honduras - Dec 04, 2010
Tags: abilio, caribbean coast, correspondent, eligible voters, honduras tegucigalpa, hrn, human rights groups, journalists, killers, killings, latin american countries, living in exile, lobo, masica, political activists, press freedom, radio reporter, suazo, television station, union members