Kidnapped mayor found dead in Mexico’s drug-plagued northAugust 18th, 2010 - 10:49 pm ICT by BNO News
MEXICO CITY (BNO NEWS) — Mexican police on Wednesday found the body of a mayor two days after he was kidnapped by drug hitmen near the northern city of Monterrey, local media said.
The El Norte newspaper said Edelmiro Cavazos, mayor of the town Santiago, was found handcuffed and blindfolded around 8:30 a.m. local time.
Cavazos was taken from his home by hitmen on Sunday night after he returned from attending a public event on Santiago’s main square.
“I deeply regret the cowardly assassination of Edelmiro Cavazos, mayor of Santiago. My deepest condolences to his family,” said President Felipe Calderon on his Twitter account.
“Edelmiro’s death outrages us and compels us to intensify the fight against these cowardly criminals who threaten citizens,” he added.
The killing follows a increase in violence over the weekend in Monterrey, where drug cartel members blocked off more than 29 major roads on Saturday, dragging drivers out of their vehicles and using their cars to block off streets.
The blockade occurred after a shootout with the Mexican army and members of the drug cartel that resulted in the death of four people. Police say that the cartels block off the streets as a show of force.
Monterrey, the richest in Mexico, has seen increased crime since Los Zetas cartel extended their drug operations there.
- Edelmiro Cavazos's wife Veronica speaks about his killing on '60 Minutes' - Jan 10, 2011
- Fourteen dismembered bodies found in truck in Mexico - Jun 08, 2012
- Five taxi drivers killed in Mexican city - Feb 22, 2012
- Ten dead in Mexico's drug wars - Aug 16, 2010
- Mexico takes action to keep criminals out of elections - Mar 02, 2012
- Six gunmen killed in clash in Mexico - Mar 27, 2010
- 20 dead in Mexico bar attack - Jul 09, 2011
- Mexico drug violence 'kills 13' - Feb 01, 2010
- Obama telephones Mexican president Calderon after Tony Tormenta's death - Nov 07, 2010
- Mexican man held for 52 murders - Jan 07, 2012
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012
- Zetas leader shot down in northern Mexico - Jan 25, 2011
- Former lawmaker's body found in Mexico - Sep 13, 2012
- US agent accused of buying guns for Mexican cartels - Apr 13, 2012
- At least 20 bodies found in vehicles in western Mexico - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: blockade, bno, cars, cartels, drug cartel, drug operations, el norte, hitmen, local media, local time, los zetas, main square, mexican army, mexican police, mexico city, monterrey, north mexico, santiago, violence, zetas cartel