Renaissance festival kicks off in USOctober 9th, 2011 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Houston, Oct 9 (IANS) The 37th annual Texas Renaissance Festival (TRF) kicked off Saturday in the southern US city of Magnolia with the participation of more than 30,000 visitors.
The 2011 TRF, taking place some 100 km north of Houston, is the country’s largest and most acclaimed Renaissance theme gala where sights, sounds and tastes of the 16th century come alive for eight weekends, reported Xinhua.
The festival started with a Bavarian celebration, where festival-goers could drink beer, learn the Polka dance and taste typical German food.
The New Market Village, an area covering 243,000 square meters, was transformed into a Rhineland of food, beverages, artworks and crafts, as well as games and human-powered rides.
Visitors strolled down the shaded cobblestone pathways, interacting with jugglers, minstrels and fortunetellers, or wandered in the shops filled with pottery, woodcarvings, jewellery and other treasures.
Rose gardens and maypoles enhanced the festivity for the visitors as they roamed through the meadows and enjoyed the non-stop entertainment of more than 200 daily shows.
Gina Rotolo, director of marketing and media relations of the event, said the festival last year entertained over 450,000 guests with nearly 500 costumed performers on 17 stages and 340 shops.
- Global children performing arts fest begins in Delhi - Dec 08, 2011
- Kolkata Festival Kick starts At Nicco Park On Saturday - Jan 24, 2011
- Hoping to get my taste buds kicking in India: Fatboy Slim (Interview) - May 04, 2012
- Jugglers, acrobats, jazz artists to enliven IFFI this year - Nov 10, 2010
- Spanish brand wins at Serbia beer fest - Aug 22, 2012
- 'Incredible India' festival opens for Commonwealth Games - Oct 02, 2010
- Wine aficionados throng Pune wine tasting festival - Dec 12, 2010
- Oktoberfest Celebrations At Tempe Is On - Oct 02, 2010
- Dubai Shopping Festival To Start - Jan 19, 2011
- Rajasthani touch at British queen's celebrations - Apr 28, 2012
- Festival brings Iran, Afghan puppet traditions to India (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- Houston decides Astrodome fate - May 24, 2012
- Cuba to host international cigar festival - Feb 20, 2011
- Jaipur Maharaja band to jam at Singapore Grand Prix - Sep 14, 2011
- Wooden masks from Ghana huge draw at IITF - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: 16th century, artworks, city of magnolia, cobblestone, director of marketing, festival goers, festivity, food beverages, fortunetellers, german food, jugglers, minstrels, polka dance, renaissance theme, rhineland, square meters, stop entertainment, texas renaissance festival, trf, xinhua