Rembrandt valued at 1500 pounds sells for 2.2 million!November 14th, 2007 - 2:57 am ICT by admin
The owner of the house decided to clear out and took the work to an auctioneer’s house, where it was suggested that the painting looked like the Dutch artist’s work.
However, the owner assured him it was only a 17th century picture in the master’s style.
After a consultation with a museum in Netherlands, the painting was estimated between 1,000 and 1,500 pounds.
“I said immediately it looked like Rembrandt’s work but he assured me it was not,” the Mirror quoted auctioneer Philip Allwood, as saying.
“In the end we got on to the Rijks Museum in Amsterdam, which is a leading authority.
“They looked at the images we sent and said they were fairly happy it wasn’t Rembrandt.
“On that basis we made an estimate of
- Rembrandt 'mixed flour with paints' for a thicker painting stroke - Feb 04, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Christie's eyes world record with Rembrandt - Dec 05, 2009
- Indian artist's painting fetches $300,000 in US auction - Apr 02, 2012
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait to fetch $40m at NY auction - Apr 22, 2011
- Roller coaster year for Indian art (2011 in Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Sotheby's to auction portrait of Nana Phadnavis - Jun 30, 2011
- Sotheby's sells eight Picassos for more than $50 mn - May 05, 2011
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait sells for $17 million - Feb 17, 2011
- US gallery pays $4.6 mn at auction for Velazquez piece - Dec 08, 2011
- Painting bought as junk worth 40 mn pounds - Mar 25, 2011
- Slice of Mughal history on sale at Sotheby's - Oct 30, 2011
- Husain, Raza highlights of Sotheby's Asian art sale - May 18, 2011
- Fake modern Indian art market fattens on budget buyers (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
- Princess Diana's Ancestral Home To Auction Some Belongings - Mar 31, 2010