Remains of 10,000-year-old giant sloth foundOctober 30th, 2011 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Brasilia, Oct 30 (IANS/EFE) Scientists have found bones in Brazil that belonged to a 20-foot-tall sloth that lived some 10,000 years ago.
The bones were found in Minas Gerais state. The giant sloth probably lived in the Holocene epoch, according to the Correio Braziliense daily.
The fossil, which according to the experts belonged to the species Eremotherium laurillardi, was discovered by pure chance in the countryside by a farmer.
Though the farmer found the bones in 2006 and out of curiosity decided to keep them, the scientists were informed only in 2009.
The experts have not been able to determine whether the fossil was of a male or female.
But it was a herbivorous adult that could stand on its two hind legs and use its long claws to grab leaves and fruit from high tree branches.
“It’s an incredible discovery and of great value to science - a prehistoric mammal that opens new and much wider perspectives for study,” said geologist Carlos Borges, director of the Dinosaur Museum in Uberaba.
- Seven survive plane crash in Brazil - Dec 14, 2010
- Mexican bottler to build $140 mn plant in Brazil - Dec 07, 2011
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- Scientists excited about mammoth discovery in Iowa - Jun 07, 2012
- 190 mn-year-old dinosaur fossils found in Argentina - Jan 10, 2010
- Hundreds of fossils found outside Argentina's capital - Apr 20, 2012
- Brazil busts $625 mn tax-evasion racket - Aug 18, 2011
- 16 killed as power line falls during Brazil carnival - Mar 01, 2011
- Ice age graveyard reveals ancient mysteries - Jan 24, 2011
- Europe's biggest dinosaur skull found in Spain - Apr 04, 2012
- Brazil bars sales of Toyota Corolla - Apr 23, 2010
- Dinosaur fossils found in Argentina - Apr 28, 2010
- Fossils Indicate Velociraptor Scavenging On A Dinosaur - Apr 20, 2010
- 9,000-year-old tools found in Mexico - Oct 21, 2011
- Brazilian funeral home broadcasts burials - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: adult, bones, brazil, carlos borges, correio, countryside, curiosity, dinosaur museum, fossil, geologist, giant sloth, hind legs, holocene epoch, incredible discovery, leaves, mammal, oct 30, perspectives, scientists, vm