Release of 28 militants in exchange for 213 soldiers will haunt Pak Govt. for longNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:14 am ICT by admin
The President had himself admitted that some of the freed ‘terrorists’ could be involved in the recent suicide bombings in Rawalpindi, Sargodha and elsewhere.
The prisoners’ swap could have been held earlier if the two sides had shown some flexibility, but it happened at a time when emergency had just been imposed in the country, the daily opined.
The freed militants included Suhail Zeb, a cousin of Baitullah Mahsud who was convicted by an anti-terrorism court and sentenced to 24-year imprisonment and three other men arrested along with Zeb from a bungalow in Dera Ismail Khan city were also convicted and given the same sentence. They were found in possession of suicide jackets.
Others who were freed by the government were also reported to be facing serious charges.
According to reports emanating from South Waziristan, followers of Mahsud are describing the release of their 28 men as a “big achievement”.
The 213 Pakistan Army soldiers who were freed by the militants included six officers. Among them was a colonel who commanded the soldiers in the military convoy who surrendered to the militants in South Waziristan on August 30. (ANI)
- Freed militant commander wanted to target Pak nukes - Dec 30, 2010
- Pakistani court convicts five Americans for terrorism - Jun 24, 2010
- Russian bombers' helper jailed - May 30, 2012
- Four Kamra airbase attackers identified: Malik - Aug 18, 2012
- Britain may face 'new terror wave' following radicalised prisoners' release - Aug 27, 2010
- Lajpat Nagar blast: High court reserves order on pleas - Oct 12, 2011
- Pakistani jailbreak: senior officials transferred - Apr 17, 2012
- Israel names Palestinian prisoners to swap for Shalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sargodha terror suspects plead innocence - May 22, 2010
- Video shows Taliban welcome for man who escaped jail - Apr 20, 2012
- Kidnapped Swiss couple plead for freedom in Taliban videos - Oct 26, 2011
- Lockerbie bomber who killed 270 is dead - May 20, 2012
- Pak to free 89 Indian prisoners on Friday - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: army soldiers, dera ismail khan, embarrassment, general pervez musharraf, militants, military convoy, opined, pak govt, pakistan army, president general, prisoners, rawalpindi, sargodha, south waziristan, suhail, suicide bombings, terrorism, terrorists, zeb