Reggina still last in Serie A, but in good formMay 3rd, 2009 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 3 (DPA) Strugglers Reggina improved an uncomfortable position at the bottom of the Italian Serie A through a 2-1 win at Bologna that fuelled their hopes to avoid relegation with four games left.
Goals from Franco Brienza and Paraguay’s midfielder Edgar Barreto gave the Reggio Calabria side a crucial win Saturday over Bologna, who are in the three-team drop zone two points above Lecce and Reggina.
In the past two games, Bologna won at 1-0 Atalanta and held giants Juventus to a 2-2 draw in Turin.
Lecce play away to third-place Juventus Sunday, when Torino, with only one more point than Bologna, visit Fiorentina.
Bologna closed a brisk but fruitless first-half one goal down as Brienza in the 40th minute successfully fired home his side’s first shot stunning Roberto Colombo with a volley by the far post.
Earlier efforts from league top striker Marco Di Vaio and Brazilian veteran Adailton caused minor troubles to Reggina’s goalkeeper Christian Puggioni, who made a great save when Nicola Mingazzini triggered the hosts’ reaction after Brienza’s goal.
Paraguay’s Barreto worsened Bologna’s worries few seconds after the break with a great long-range drive that touched the bar as it dropped past Colombo.
Argentine Pablo Osvaldo came on for Bologna and missed from close range before nodding against the bar in the 61st minutes.
A cross from the right came off Reggina’s bar five minutes later, while Brienza also shook the woodwork and missed an incredible chance when a defence blunder brought him face to face with Colombo.
A relentless pressing only yielded Bologna a consolation goal from Greek Vangelis Moras with three minutes left.
Title holders Inter Milan play later Saturday at home against mid-table sdie Lazio. Inter looking to retain their seven-point lead over city rivals AC Milan, who visit Sicily side Catania on Sunday.
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Inter slow down march towards Serie A title - May 11, 2009
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Milan extend lead as Juve held in Serie A - Mar 12, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Milan beat Roma to extend lead - Mar 25, 2012
- AC Milan maintain Serie A lead with win over Atalanta - Jan 09, 2012
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Inter Milan celebrate title triumph with an easy win - May 18, 2009
- Roma, AC Milan close in on leaders Inter Milan - Feb 22, 2010
Tags: ac milan, brienza, city rivals, close range, drop zone, edgar barreto, fiorentina, four games, inter milan, italian serie, lazio inter, mid table, minor troubles, moras, reggio calabria, roberto colombo, seven point, uncomfortable position, vangelis, zone two