‘Regan-heir’ Palin speaks on her electability as US president in 2012October 11th, 2010 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 11 (ANI): Fromer Alaska Governor Sarah Palin addressed questions about her own electability in the 2012 US presidential election by saying that critics also said Ronald Reagan couldn’t win in 1980.
Speaking to a group of well-connected Republicans at a private dinner in Florida this week, Palin told the right-wing crowd that those who don’t have the same convictions will always say a true conservative can’t win, Politico reports.
Palin repeatedly invoked the 40th president and conservative icon, at one point citing the quotation he was most fond of: that America is a “shining city on a hill.”
“I think she sees herself as heir to Reagan,” Politico quoted one private dinner attendee, as saying.
Palin however did not talk directly about a White House bid at the event, held on Wednesday at the famed Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach.
Rather she used her remarks and a question-and-answer period with about 50 conservative insiders to discuss topics such as health care, the midterm elections and the state of the GOP, Politico reports.
Palin discussed the importance of keeping the tea party movement in the GOP but criticized establishment Republicans who she said weren’t listening to the party’s grass roots by supporting moderate candidates over conservatives. (ANI)
- Republicans must try to aspire for Reagan mantle: Palin - Feb 06, 2011
- Reagan's children feel no Republican can claim their father's political legacy - Feb 10, 2011
- Sarah Palin to deliver the keynote address at the 100th birth anniversary of Ronald Reagan - Jan 28, 2011
- Sarah Palin To Bequeath The Keynote Address At The 'Reagan 100' Opening Banquet In California - Jan 28, 2011
- Sarah Palin not like my dad at all, says Ronald Reagan's son - Feb 05, 2011
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Tea Party star O'Donnell quips she 'dabbled with witchcraft' in high school - Sep 20, 2010
- Palin urges GOP to 'fight like girls' - Apr 17, 2011
- 'If I make 2012 White House bid, it will be with thick skin and steel spine,' says Palin - Feb 06, 2011
- Sarah Palin pushes midterm election candidates, teases possible presidential candidacy bid - Sep 18, 2010
- Palin brand makes its mark in US mid-term elections - Nov 04, 2010
- Obama's approval ratings 'remain steady' despite several setbacks: Poll - Dec 17, 2010
- Palin's Iowa trip, Friday's Republican dinner, points to 2012 presidential run - Sep 13, 2010
- Palin says "sleazy" old boys club Republicans are out to get her - Nov 03, 2010
- Palin's popularity plummets to all time low even among Republican voters, finds poll - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: 40th president, alaska governor sarah palin, answer period, attendee, breakers hotel in palm beach, city on a hill, conservative icon, electability, fromer, governor sarah palin, grass roots, heir, midterm elections, palm beach, private dinner, ronald reagan, sarah palin, shining city, tea party, true conservative