Refugees die in boat accident off Spanish coastJuly 11th, 2010 - 7:21 am ICT by IANS
Granada, July 11 (DPA) Five African refugees including two babies died in a boat accident about 80 km south of Motril on the southern Spanish coast, officials said Saturday evening.
The boat, which foundered at sea, was carrying 40 passengers and was thought to have come from Morocco.
The boat started rocking as the coast guard came near with its rescue ship and some of the refugees stood up. Two men, a woman and the two small babies drowned.
The other refugees were brought to land and seen to by doctors, then sent to a refugee intake centre.
A second boat with 36 illegal immigrants on board was stopped near Almeria just hours before the boat accident.
- Man on board M.V.Prabhu Daya missing - Mar 04, 2012
- 39 migrants rescued off Spanish coast - Apr 26, 2010
- Hundreds missing after migrant boat sinks near Italian island, 50 rescued - Apr 06, 2011
- 58 dead after boat sinks in Turkey - Sep 07, 2012
- Probe report on boat hit-and-run likely Thursday - Mar 07, 2012
- No clue of missing fishermen or hit and run ship - Mar 02, 2012
- Two pilgrims die, many missing as boat capsizes in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2012
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
- Tragedy strikes Kerala waters again, two killed (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- MV Prabhu Daya enroute to Chennai, missing man rescued - Mar 05, 2012
- 150 killed in Mediterranean boat capsize: UN - Jun 04, 2011
- Nine killed in Moscow river boat accident - Jul 31, 2011
- 40 Haitian immigrants drown off Cuban coast - Dec 26, 2011
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012