Red Cross member killed in Sri Lanka’s war-zoneMarch 5th, 2009 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, March 5 (IANS) The Red Cross Thursday said one of its staff members was killed while his nine-year-old son was wounded in Sri Lanka’s rebel-held north-eastern coastal village, where the advancing troops and the cornered Tamil Tiger rebels were locked in heavy fighting.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said that its local staff member, Vadivel Vijayakumar “severely injured by shrapnel just north of Valayanmadam” Wednesday “succumbed to his injuries at the makeshift medical facility in Putumattalan”. Valayanmadam lies on the coastal belt of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)-held territory
“We are deeply saddened by the news of the death of our dear friend and colleague Vadivel Vijayakumar, and extend our heartfelt condolences to his family and friends,” said Anthony Dalziel, the ICRC’s deputy head of delegation in Colombo, in a statement.
“We also hope that his nine-year-old son, who was injured in the same incident, will receive the medical treatment he requires and soon recover from his injury,” said the international aid group’s statement issued both in Colombo and Geneva.
According to the statement, Vijayakumar, father of three, had held a permanent position as a water technician in the ICRC since 2004.
“In recent days he was involved in ICRC-facilitated medical evacuations, helping to bring patients from the makeshift medical facility in Putumattalan to the beach and then on to the ICRC ferry for evacuation to Trincomalee,” it said, adding the ICRC would continue to carry out its essential activities to help conflict-affected people throughout the country.
- Sri Lanka declares new 'no fire zone' for civilians - Feb 12, 2009
- Red Cross staff member killed in Sri Lanka - Apr 09, 2009
- Sri Lanka to send food supply for war-hit people via sea - Feb 18, 2009
- Red Cross evacuates 240 wounded civilians from LTTE-held areas - Feb 10, 2009
- Indian medicos, aid arrive in Sri Lanka to help war-hit civilians - Mar 09, 2009
- Indian medical team in Sri Lanka next week - Mar 06, 2009
- Lanka still holding 11,000 Tamil prisoners - Dec 05, 2009
- Nine killed in Sri Lanka as hospital shelled - Feb 02, 2009
- Sri Lanka army launches airstrikes: Tamil rebels (Lead) - Apr 28, 2009
- Sri Lankan rebels claim 1,000 civilians killed this week (Second Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Over 49,000 flee LTTE-held area as deadline to surrender ends (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Aid workers killed in Sri Lanka war zone (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Sri Lankan president's kin attacked in Tamil Nadu - Jan 10, 2012
- Troops capture more LTTE-held areas, UN official reaches Colombo (Lead) - Apr 26, 2009
- Sri Lanka to operate flights to former rebel stronghold - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: aid group, coastal belt, coastal village, colombo, cross icrc, cross member, dalziel, dear friend, deputy head, heartfelt condolences, international committee of the red cross, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, medical evacuations, medical facility, medical treatment, shrapnel, tamil tiger rebels, vijayakumar, war zone