Red Cross confirms receipt of Israeli soldier remainsJune 1st, 2008 - 6:27 pm ICT by admin
Beirut, June 1 (DPA) The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) confirmed Sunday that it had received from Hezbollah the remains of Israeli soldiers during a handover of a convicted Hezbollah spy. The remains were then handed over to Israel. ICRC spokeswoman Samar al Kadi confirmed to DPA that the “ICRC have handed remains of Israeli soldiers to Israel.”
The exchange came when Lebanese prisoner Nassim Nisr, who had been convicted for espionage by Israel and had served six years in prison, was handed over at the Naquora border crossing point.
Hezbollah official Wafik Safa announced that the moment Nisr arrived, Hezbollah “now is handing over the remains in return for Nisr of some soldiers who fell during the war between Hezbollah and Israel in 2006.”
Upon his arrival, Nisr was saluted by Hezbollah militants and his parents who threw rose petals and rice on Nisr.
“I would like to only thank (Hezbolah chief) Sheikh Hassan Nasarllah for his efforts to release me and i hope the rest of the Lebanese prisoners will soon be here as well,” Nisr told reporters.
Hezbollah official in southern Lebanon, Sheikh Nabil Kawook, told DPA “our movements priorty is to release all the Lebanese prisoners from Israeli jails. The freedom of the prisoners is a major goal for us now. We are people who do not leave our prisoners in jail.”
- Hezbollah spy arrives in Lebanon after release from Israel - Jun 01, 2008
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Israel, Hezbollah swap prisoners (Lead, changing datelilne) - Jul 16, 2008
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Lebanese detainees captured in flotilla raid arrive in Lebanon - Jun 03, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Hezbollah chief describes Israel as 'state of terror' - Jun 05, 2010
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Lebanese spying for Israel sentenced to death - Aug 18, 2010
- Israel, Lebanon exchange fire on border - Aug 03, 2010
Tags: beirut, cross icrc, dpa, espionage, handover, hassan, hezbollah, international committee of the red cross, israeli jails, israeli soldier, israeli soldiers, kadi, lebanese prisoners, militants, petals, receipt, samar, six years, southern lebanon, spokeswoman