Record entry for badminton in Beijing OlympicsJuly 26th, 2008 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 26 (Xinhua) A record 50 teams, including six from Africa, will participate in the badminton tournament at the Beijing Olympics. The wider participation was a result of the development of the sport and a reform by the World Badminton Federation (WBF), Ren Chunhui, executive vice-director of the badminton competing venue - Beijing University of Technology - said Friday.
There were 32 teams for the Athens Olympic Games fours years ago, and only one - South Africa - came from the African continent, Ren said.
The WBF introduced a new rule which stipulates that a country or region could have at most three shuttlers for one event and all of them must be among the world’s top four.
The new rule took away places from badminton superpowers and benefited other teams.
A total of 173 athletes are expected to fight for five Olympic titles during the nine-day event, with one from Zambia becoming the last athlete whose entry to the Games was confirmed.
The men’s singles will have 41 players, women’s singles 47, and the men’s, women’s and mixed doubles will have 16 pairs each.
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Lin Dan in quest of second Olympic title as China set to stamp authority - Jul 12, 2012
- BWF expects new faces, new format at London Olympics - Jul 16, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- I can hope and try, not predict: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Jul 16, 2012
- Lin Dan seeded second for Olympic badminton draw - Jul 22, 2012
- Chen Jin on course for Olympic berth - Apr 19, 2012
- Eight Iraqi athletes to go to London - Jul 15, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Uganda athletes undergo doping test ahead of Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Russia to send 436 athletes to London 2012 - Jul 10, 2012
- Federer expects Olympics to be something special - Jul 23, 2012
- Britain's taekwondo athlete Stevenson takes Olympic oath - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: african continent, athens olympic games, athlete, badminton tournament, beijing olympics, beijing university, executive vice, mixed doubles, olympic games, olympic titles, olympics, pairs, shuttlers, superpowers, university of technology, venue, vice director, wbf, world badminton federation, xinhua