Record deal for Kenyan choir boys after Obama inauguration gigJanuary 24th, 2009 - 7:00 am ICT by IANS
London, Jan 24 (DPA) A youth choir from Kenya has earned a recording deal after performing at US President Barack Obama’s inauguration this week, British media reported Friday.The Boys Choir of Kenya signed an agreement with Universal Music record label in the transit lounge at London’s Heathrow Airport on their way home from Washington.
Representatives of the label, to which the likes of Amy Winehouse, U2 and the Rolling Stones are signed, had seen an internet video clip of the choir’s performance at Tuesday’s ceremony, the report said.
“This is a big honour to us. We feel so excited,” Joseph Muyale, the choir’s founder and musical director, was quoted as saying.
The choir, which includes several orphans, had been performing in the US when they were approached by organisers to take part in the inauguration celebrations.
Obama’s father was Kenyan and he is seen by many as a son of the East African nation.
- Obama''s Kenyan choir inks deal with Universal Music - Jan 24, 2009
- Shillong Chamber Choir performs for Govt. officials ahead of Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Shillong choir founder named to World Choir Council - May 31, 2012
- Amy Winehouse's new album to be released in December - Oct 31, 2011
- Lady Gaga to play Amy Winehouse? - Aug 06, 2011
- Shillong choir to kick off Christmas festivities - Dec 10, 2011
- Adele declines Winehouse tribute show - Jul 20, 2012
- Baha'i choir returns to capital after 24 years (With Images) - Jun 26, 2010
- Amy Winehouse's house robbed after her death - Aug 11, 2011
- Celebs mourn 'incredible talent' Amy Winehouse's death - Jul 24, 2011
- Winehouse's father to write Amy's memoir - Oct 12, 2011
- Posthumous Amy Winehouse album to be released in December - Oct 31, 2011
- Indian choir to perform in Toronto - Aug 09, 2011
- Smith pens tribute song for Winehouse - Jan 04, 2012
- Beyonce now subject of university course - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: amy winehouse, barack obama, boys choir, choir boys, east african nation, heathrow airport, honour, inauguration, jan 24, london jan, music record, musical director, organisers, orphans, record label, rolling stones, transit lounge, universal music, washington representatives, youth choir