Recession-hit German brothels offer discounts, loyalty cards and ‘extras’April 26th, 2009 - 12:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 26 (ANI): Global financial catastrophe has not even spared the world’s oldest profession in Germany. Therefore, the brothel industry in the European country has responded with an economic stimulus package of its own: modern marketing tools, rebates, discounts and gimmicks to boost falling demand.
While some brothels have cut prices or added free promotions, others have introduced all-inclusive flat-rate fees. Free shuttle buses, discounts for seniors and taxi drivers, as well as “day passes” are among the other marketing strategies.
“Times are tough for us too,” The Independent quoted Karin Ahrens, who manages the Yes, Sir brothel in Hanover, as saying.
She said that revenue had dropped by 30 per cent at her establishment, while turnover had fallen by as much as 50 per cent at other clubs.
“We’re definitely feeling the crisis. Clients are being tight with their money. They’re afraid. You can’t charge for the extras any more and there is pressure to cut prices,” she revealed.
Germany has about 400,000 professional prostitutes. In 2002, legislation allowed prostitutes to advertise and enter into formal labour contracts.
Following the recession, Berlin’s Pussy Club is trying to attract customers by its headline-grabbing “flat rate” - a 70-Euro admission charge for unlimited food, drink and sex between 10am and 4pm.
“You’ve got to come up with creative solutions these days,” said club manager Stefan, who requested his surname not be published.
“We’re feeling the economic crisis, too, even though business has, fortunately, been more or less OK for us so far,” Stefan added.
Other novel ideas include loyalty cards, group sex parties, and rebates for golf players.
Anke Christiansen, manager of Hamburg’s GeizHaus, said the effects of the economic crisis were clear.
“The regular customers who used to come by two or three times a week are only coming by once or twice a week now,” Anke said. (ANI)
- Abandoned US brothel to become museum - Aug 09, 2012
- German city to tax prostitutes - Aug 31, 2011
- German brothel offers discounts to green clients - Jul 15, 2009
- German brothel offers discount to eco-friendly clients - Jul 15, 2009
- Fiji's massage parlours operating as brothels - Feb 28, 2011
- UK family driven from their house over alleged prostitute's noisy sex - May 04, 2011
- French minister seeks end of prostitution in Europe - Jun 23, 2012
- Ohio Appliance Rebate In Full Swing - Mar 26, 2010
- US store offers special discount exclusively for same-sex moms - Apr 23, 2011
- Berlin brothel beats recession with discount offer to cyclists - Jul 14, 2009
- Harry Reid wants to ban brothels in Nevada - Feb 23, 2011
- Aussie brothels offer discounts for elderly for seniors week - Oct 01, 2009
- Some Sri Lankan TV actresses in prostitution ring - Jul 26, 2011
- Green rust can guard groundwater from radioactive contamination - Mar 18, 2011
- Indo-German trade to touch 20 billion euros: Krishna - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: admission charge, ahrens, brothel, creative solutions, economic crisis, economic stimulus package, financial catastrophe, free promotions, free shuttle buses, german brothels, golf players, group sex parties, labour contracts, loyalty cards, marketing strategies, marketing tools, modern marketing, novel ideas, oldest profession, taxi drivers