Rebels desert along with two hostages in ColombiaJanuary 14th, 2009 - 11:36 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Jan 14 (DPA) Two Colombian rebels have turned themselves in to the police along with two hostages they were guarding, in apparent response to government offers of rewards for turning themselves in, the authorities said.Two members of the leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) identified with the aliases “Ernesto” and “David” Tuesday fled a camp between the villages of Cubarral and Vistahermosa, in the central Colombian province of Meta.
The deserters took with them a 14-year-old who was being held since Dec 27 for ransom of $2.2 million and and a 31-year-old kidnapped over Christmas and being held for $450,800.
Over the past month, five rebels have deserted FARC and helped free hostages.
Last week, a rebel known as “Myriam” helped a businessman who had been held for months return to safety.
The best-known case of recent months was that of Wilson Bueno, alias “Isaza”, who deserted and helped former legislator Oscar Tulio Lizcano escape from FARC in late October.
The government gave “Isaza” a reward, and allowed him to fly to France. He now lives in the European country with his partner, who also deserted from FARC.
The rebel group is believed to hold some 700 hostages, most of them for ransom. There is a smaller group of around 30 military and police officers that the rebels hope to exchange for about 500 members of FARC who are currently held in prison.
- Former politician, rebel guard escape from Colombian guerrillas - Oct 27, 2008
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Colombian boy walks 70 km to seek father's release - Jul 04, 2010
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- Colombian Army offers $1.3 mn reward to informer - Jun 17, 2010
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- Colombian rebels free last foreign hostage - Mar 19, 2009
- Colombian rebels kill 12 soldiers - May 22, 2012
- Top FARC Commander sentenced to 27 years in prison for importing tons of cocaine into the US - Jul 23, 2010
- Colombian rebel forces release video of hostages, one of them kidnapped over 12 years ago - Jun 08, 2010
- 45 Colombian rebels killed in bombing: Report - Jul 26, 2009
Tags: alias, aliases, apparent response, armed forces, bogota, businessman, colombian rebels, deserters, ernesto, farc, free hostages, isaza, legislator, police officers, ransom, rebel group, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, rewards, tulio, vistahermosa