Rebels attack ship in Sri LankaMarch 9th, 2009 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, March 9 (Xinhua) Tamil Tiger rebels Monday fired mortar shells at a ship carrying essential commodities for civilians in Sri Lanka’s Mullaitivu district, the military said.
Military spokesman Brig. Udaya Nanayakkara said the ship, carrying about 500 tonnes of essentials to the Internally Displaced Persons, was being unloaded in the government created safety zone when it came under mortar attacks launched by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam at about 8:30 a.m. (0300 GMT).
Nanayakkara said the captain of the ship took the vessel to the deep sea after the incident.
“No one was injured. There was no damage to the ship,” said the spokesman.
Over 35,000 people trapped in the war-zone in LTTE-held areas have entered the government-held areas since January and are being temporarily resettled in the northern Vavuniya and Jaffna districts.
The military says that the LTTE is now cornered into an area less than 50 square km, holding thousands of civilians as human shield.
- Sri Lankan troops foil LTTE infiltration bid - Mar 05, 2009
- 5,000 civilians flee Sri Lanka's war-zone: Military (Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- LTTE female suicide bomber kills 23, wounds 64 (Fourth Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- Air Force choppers escape LTTE missile attack: Sri Lanka - Mar 25, 2009
- Over 13,000 civilians flee LTTE-held areas, 17 die in blast (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, 95,000 flee war zone (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, over 95,000 flee war zone (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- 17 killed, 45 wounded in LTTE suicide explosion in Sri Lanka (Third Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- 30,000 civilians flee LTTE-held areas, 17 killed in blasts (Third Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- 27 killed in sea clash with LTTE: Sri Lankan military - Mar 30, 2009
- LTTE fails to meet Sri Lanka's ultimatum to surrender (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- LTTE cornered to 28 sq km area: Sri Lankan military - Mar 18, 2009
- LTTE chief in shrunken war zone as 95,000 civilians flee (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2009
- India assures Lanka's displaced Tamils of help in resettlement - Aug 31, 2010
- Indian medical team in Sri Lanka next week - Mar 06, 2009
Tags: brig, civilians, commodities, deep sea, human shield, jaffna, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, ltte, military spokesman, mortar attacks, mortar shells, mullaitivu district, nanayakkara, northern vavuniya, safety zone, sri lanka colombo, tamil tiger rebels, udaya, war zone, xinhua