Rebel attack in Philippines kills 17March 31st, 2009 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, March 31 (DPA) Seventeen people were killed when communist rebels attacked a military outpost in the southern Philippines Tuesday, an army spokesman said.
An undetermined number of guerrillas swooped down on an army patrol base in Malaybalay City in Bukidnon province, 855 km south of Manila, according to Major Michele Anayron.
Anayron said troops manning the outpost clashed with the rebels, killing 11 of them.
But four government troopers and two civilians were killed in the attack, he added.
“The rebels attempted to overrun our patrol base but they were repulsed,” he said.
The attack occurred two days after the New People’s Army, the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, marked its 40th founding anniversary.
Anayron said the attack could have been a retaliation for troops taking over two rebel camps last week.
Communist rebels have been fighting the Philippine government since the late 1960s, making the movement one of the longest-running leftist insurgencies in Asia.
- Four soldiers killed by rebels in Philippines - May 31, 2010
- Soldier, two rebels killed in Philippines - May 13, 2012
- Two soldiers killed in communist attack in Philippines - Dec 11, 2009
- Eight policemen killed in Philippines attack - Aug 21, 2010
- Three dead in rebel attack in southern Philippines - Jul 31, 2011
- 10 communist rebels killed in the Philippines - Sep 25, 2009
- 31 injured in Philippines quake - Nov 08, 2011
- Three Philippine soldiers killed in clash - Mar 01, 2008
- Chhattisgarh on high alert after Kishanji's killing - Nov 25, 2011
- Rebels kill eight in Philippines - Apr 04, 2011
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- Soldier killed in Philippines accident - Jan 23, 2012
- 30 human skeletons found in Philippines - Jul 22, 2012
- Indian killed in Philippines - Jun 10, 2010
- Garo rebels attack police outpost - Jun 29, 2011
Tags: 1960s, anniversary, army patrol, army spokesman, asia, bukidnon province, civilians, communist party, communist rebels, guerrillas, insurgencies, michele, military outpost, philippine government, rebel attack, retaliation, southern philippines, undetermined number