Real estate tycoon Trump to run for US president in 2012October 6th, 2010 - 12:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 6 (ANI): Real estate tycoon and reality television host Donald Trump has showed his interest for the first time in running for president of the United States, saying that “somebody has to do something, because we are losing this country.”
Trump has been tempted to spend a hefty portion of his estimated two billion dollars fortune on a White House bid.
Speaking on morning television, Trump said: “I’ve had so many people over the years ask me to do that and for the first time in my life I am absolutely thinking about it.”
“I don’t know that I’ll do it. It’s probable that I won’t do it but I can tell you, I’m thinking about it. Somebody has to do something we are losing this country. This country will not be great if something isn’t done rapidly,” he said.
Expressing his admiration for the Tea Party Movement, he said: “I am a Republican and have great respect for what the Tea Party has done because they have brought to light what’s going on. I mean we have trillion-dollar deficits. … The country is going bankrupt, let’s face it.”
The early front-runners for the Republican nomination include Mitt Romney, who only came a distant third to John McCain in the 2008, and Sarah Palin, who may be a hero to conservatives but remains deeply divisive, The Telegraph reports.
Even before hosting The Apprentice on TV, a version of the British show, Trump, 64, has been a prominent figure in the US with the near collapse of his property empire in the 1980s and his colourful private life. (ANI)
- Gingrich finally calls it quits (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Romney picks up two big endorsements - Mar 30, 2012
- Dave Mustaine endorses Rick Santorum - Feb 16, 2012
- Romney promises to deliver what Obama could not - Aug 31, 2012
- Obama makes hay with Romney's 'offshoring' record - Jun 27, 2012
- Republicans send Obama over the moon (Washington Newsletter) - Jan 29, 2012
- Obama faces uphill re-election climb, says ex-aide - Oct 10, 2011
- Obama attacks Romney for shipping jobs to India - Jun 23, 2012
- Romney lands in controversy with 'birther' joke - Aug 25, 2012
- Former US Republican candidate Santorum endorses Romney - May 08, 2012
- Michele Bachmann's son turns down Playgirl offer - Apr 21, 2011
- Personal animosity should not shut down government: Obama (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Rick Santorum wins Kansas caucuses, Romney takes Wyoming - Mar 11, 2012
- Poll: More than 6 in 10 would not vote for Trump, Palin - Apr 27, 2011
- My dad wants to strengthen American dream: Craig Romney - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: admiration, apprentice, billion dollars, collapse, conservatives, donald trump, front runners, hefty portion, john mccain, mitt romney, morning television, president of the united states, private life, real estate tycoon, reality television, republican nomination, sarah palin, tea party, television host, time in my life