Reagan’s children feel no Republican can claim their father’s political legacyFebruary 10th, 2011 - 6:30 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 10 (ANI): Late US President Ronald Reagan’s three surviving children have rubbished efforts by Republican presidential hopefuls to claim his mantle as a conservative reformer.
Speaking at a dinner to honour the 40th president, Sarah Palin had said she considered herself a “western conservative in the spirit of Ronald Reagan”.
While Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker who is also considering a run for the White House compared his Pennsylvania roots to Reagan’s in a small town in Illinois.
He said man who ended the Cold War would have handled the turmoil in Egypt with much more certainty than President Barack Obama.
Other potential candidates have lavished praise on Reagan, who died in 2004, and cited him as their chief inspiration.
But Reagan’s only surviving daughter, Patti Davis, did not think much of Palin being the potential successor to her father.
“You’ve got to be kidding me,” the Telegraph quoted her as saying.
Ron Reagan, her younger brother, added: “Sarah Palin has nothing in common with my father. Sarah Palin is a soap opera.”
Compared to his father, he said that Gingrich would stand “in some dank little basement somewhere or some fantasy world in his own head”.
Even Michael Reagan, easily the most conservative of the three, was unable to draw any favourable parallels between his father and current would-be successors.
“I don’t see anyone in Ronald Reagan’s image. He was one of a kind,” he told ABC News.
“Everybody’s trying to out-Reagan themselves. They’re quoting my father, which is wonderful. But they’ve got to find their own voice and who they are,” he added. (ANI)
- Republicans must try to aspire for Reagan mantle: Palin - Feb 06, 2011
- Gingrich finally calls it quits (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Sarah Palin not like my dad at all, says Ronald Reagan's son - Feb 05, 2011
- Sarah Palin To Bequeath The Keynote Address At The 'Reagan 100' Opening Banquet In California - Jan 28, 2011
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Santorum wins Louisiana to slow down Romney - Mar 25, 2012
- Sarah Palin defends Newt Gingrich - May 20, 2011
- Sarah Palin's poll ratings drop to lowest since 2008 over Jewish 'blood libel' row - Jan 19, 2011
- Obama leads over four potential 2012 GOP contenders: Poll - Jan 21, 2011
- Sarah Palin to deliver the keynote address at the 100th birth anniversary of Ronald Reagan - Jan 28, 2011
- Obama's popularity rising, Palin's falling for 2012 Presidential elections: Poll - Dec 29, 2010
- Obama's rating plunges, yet ahead of GOP rivals: Poll - Apr 20, 2011
- Newt Gingrich sought "God's forgiveness" for marital affairs - Mar 26, 2011
- Callista Gingrich is in the spotlight - Dec 24, 2011
- Most Americans can't name single GOP candidate: Poll - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: 40th president, abc news, barack obama, chief inspiration, fantasy world, house speaker, london feb, michael reagan, newt gingrich, patti davis, pennsylvania roots, political legacy, president ronald reagan, reformer, republican presidential hopefuls, ron reagan, ronald reagan, sarah palin, soap opera, who ended the cold war