Raul Castro completes visit to RussiaFebruary 4th, 2009 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 4 (RIA Novosti) Cuban leader Raul Castro has completed his official week-long visit to Russia. It was the first trip by a Cuban leader to the country since 1985.During his visit Castro and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev signed a memorandum on “strategic” cooperation and reached an agreement to grant the Caribbean state a $20 million loan tentatively to buy Russian-made construction, electricity-generating and agricultural equipment.
Russia also promised substantial food aid to alleviate an acute food problem on the island badly affected by two tropical hurricanes, Gustav and Ike, in September 2008.
Russia’s foreign trade bank Vnesheconombank (VEB) said it had opened credit lines totaling $44.5 million to fund the purchases of Tu-204CE civilian cargo aircraft and equipment by Cuba.
Over 30 documents were signed as part of Castro’s Russian visit, including cooperation in trade, education, sport and tourism.
Opening the talks Friday, Medvedev said the two countries should increase their trade turnover, which currently stands at $239 million.
He said Castro’s visit would “open up a new page in the history of Russian-Cuban relations”. And the Cuban leader called their talks “historic” and a “milestone event” in bilateral ties.
Relations between Russia and Cuba stalled after the collapse of the Soviet Union, when Russia faced by financial difficulties halted huge Soviet-era subsidies and trade.
In recent years, Russia has moved to revive ties with Cuba, as well as other Latin American states. Medvedev visited Havana in November, and a Russian anti-submarine destroyer and two logistical warships docked in Cuba in December.
- Raul Castro's visit to Russia ends (Lead) - Feb 04, 2009
- Russia, Cuba sign host of deals to boost ties - Jan 30, 2009
- Russia-Cuba to sign deal to make rifle ammunition - Dec 01, 2011
- Raul Castro visits Russia, the first by a Cuban leader - Jan 29, 2009
- Cuban president embarks on China, Vietnam trip - Jul 03, 2012
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Cuba, Russia reiterate strategic nature of their ties - Feb 12, 2010
- India, Russia ink 19 business deals, explore trade pact - Dec 21, 2010
- Cuba holds key role in Russia's Latin American policy - Dec 26, 2008
- Raul Castro secures cooperation commitments in China - Jul 06, 2012
- Ahmadinejad visits Cuba - Jan 12, 2012
- Russian official charged for $14 mn bank fraud - Mar 13, 2012
- Cuba, China to enhance military cooperation - Oct 28, 2011
- Russian army general visits Cuba - Sep 16, 2009
- Medvedev holds talks with Kim Jong-il - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: 239 million, bilateral ties, cargo aircraft, caribbean state, collapse of the soviet union, construction electricity, cuban leader, cuban relations, dmitry medvedev, electricity generating, food problem, latin american states, milestone event, raul castro, ria novosti, russia moscow, substantial food, trade turnover, tropical hurricanes, vnesheconombank