Raul Castro appoints new foreign investment ministerNovember 13th, 2008 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Nov 13 (DPA) Cuban President Raul Castro replaced his foreign investment minister after the agency reported a drop in the number of state firms receiving foreign investment.The announcement of the cabinet change was made Wednesday night on state-run television. It did not give a reason for removing Marta Lomas, 58, and replacing her with the country’s envoy to UN Rodrigo Malmierca, 52.
The Ministry of Foreign Investment and Economic Cooperation reported recently that the number of state companies with foreign capital this year was 314, a drop of 48 contracts from the end of 2007.
The cabinet change was the second Castro has made since he officially became president in February, taking over from his brother Fidel, who had led Cuba since 1959 after heading the Cuban Revolution. In April, Raul Castro had replaced his education minister.
Malmierca had already served as vice minister, director and in other positions in the foreign investment ministry, which oversees the joint ventures state enterprises have with foreign companies.
His appointment came as Cuba struggles to recover from three hurricanes that hit it this hurricane season and as its economy languishes under a 46-year US embargo and the removal of subsidies with the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Cuban president embarks on China, Vietnam trip - Jul 03, 2012
- Krishna to visit Cuba to further ties - Jun 12, 2012
- Cuba, Botswana sign cooperation agreements - Jun 10, 2010
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Che Guevara's motorcycle companion dead - Mar 06, 2011
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Cuba says it's ready for dialogue with US - Sep 27, 2011
- Capturing Castro, Che and Cuba on lens - Dec 22, 2010
- Cuban defence minister dies - Sep 04, 2011