Rare World War II photographs of British troops foundMay 28th, 2009 - 5:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 28 (ANI): A photographic album collated by a British soldier as he fought in the Second World War has been uncovered, with rare pictures of Prime Minister Winston Churchill congratulating the troops.
While many of the images show buildings and scenery from the North African Campaign between 1940 and 1943, others give a rare personal insight into the conflict.
One picture shows soldiers enjoying a cigarette by a Nazi plane after Brit forces had conquered an African airfield in late 1942, The Telegraph reported.
Another shows Howitzers firing in the night, the closeness of the photographer giving the picture a sense of the scale of the blasts.
And in one of the shots a British soldier is shown crouching behind a sand mound, his rifle poking over the top of the shelter.
Another shows the troops clowning around, putting a pipe into the mouth of a statue.
The album is going under the hammer at a Mullocks Auction today at Ludlow Racecourse in Shropshire, where it is expected to fetch hundreds of pounds.
Mullocks historical documents expert Richard Westwood-Brookes said the pictures were an important record of British forces’ bravery, the paper reports.
The album had been in the possession of a German client who had decided to sell it to raise money. (ANI)
- Tipu Sultan painting to be auctioned in Britain - Sep 05, 2012
- Sketches of Hitler's artist who erased name from files post war up for grabs - Apr 04, 2011
- British spy sang for Hitler with secret documents in her underwear - Sep 10, 2010
- Stalin's death mask sold for 3,600 pounds - Jan 25, 2012
- Nazi sticker book including Hitlers snaps up for auction - Jan 28, 2009
- For sale: Nude sketch by Adolf Hitler - Feb 27, 2010
- Nazi women's magazines blaming Brits for WWII to be auctioned - Apr 15, 2009
- Stalin death mask goes on sale - Jan 24, 2012
- Hitler's first self-portrait up for auction - Mar 26, 2009
- Mahatma Gandhi's glasses, prayer book up for auction - Apr 02, 2012
- Adolf Hitler's painting on sale - Mar 26, 2009
- 100-year-old picture of Hitler, Lenin playing chess emerges - Sep 04, 2009
- Sikh relics to be auctioned in Britain - Nov 09, 2011
- 30000 pounds for rare copy of Mein Kampf signed by Hitler - Apr 11, 2011
- Rare portraits of Gandhi to be auctioned in England - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: african campaign, blasts, bravery, british soldier, british troops, brookes, closeness, historical documents, important record, ludlow racecourse, personal insight, photographic album, rare world, sand mound, scenery, second world war, shropshire, westwood, winston churchill, world war ii