Rare petroglyphs found in Cuban cavesJune 25th, 2009 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, June 25 (IANS) Cuban archaeologists are studying the strange drawings found in caves in eastern Cuba, Prensa Latina reported.
The petroglyphs, discovered in the Sierra del Rosario reserve located in Pinar del Rio province, have now motivated large-scale research in the area to establish the origin of the asymmetric carvings in the stalagmites.
According to Cuba’s renowned historian Luis Formigo, the carvings were made by pre-tribal aboriginal people who also carved stone to make fire, track time and follow the course of events between the years 5,000 and 3,000 B.C.
The Cuban Anthropology Institute called the 2 cm X 7 cm discovery as extraordinary and linked it to the Banwari-Trace tradition of Trinidad, East Caribbean, leading cave stone carving sites in the area.
The discoveries include caves used for housing and others used for ceremonies, plus several others considered graveyards, Formigo said.
In La Lechuza, one of the largest caves, food remains, tools and pieces of human skeletons were also found.
- Cuban man sets fifth Guinness record - Nov 21, 2011
- Japanese experts help Cuba to develop aqua-farms - Sep 13, 2011
- Cuban publishes book on history of ballet - Feb 22, 2012
- Cuban president embarks on China, Vietnam trip - Jul 03, 2012
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- We never ordered killing of an adversary: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Cuba upgrades power plant with Chinese technology - Apr 16, 2012
- Cuban medicine for diabetic ulcers gains popularity - Mar 01, 2011
- India, Cuba to cooperate on natural medicine usage - Feb 18, 2011
- Cuba discovers giant crocodile remains - Sep 09, 2009
- 2 million Cuban students get trained in arts - Jan 18, 2012
- Cuba calls for global cooperation to end hunger - Mar 09, 2010
- Cuba, Russia sign telecommunications pact - Mar 13, 2010
- Indian sports trainers get Cuban exposure (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
Tags: aboriginal people, anthropology, archaeologists, caribbean, caves, cuba prensa latina, discoveries, discovery, eastern cuba, graveyards, havana, human skeletons, la lechuza, petroglyphs, pinar del rio, renowned historian, sierra del rosario, stalagmites, strange drawings, track time