Rapist cop in UK finally jailed after attacking 30 women during 5-year reignNovember 25th, 2010 - 6:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 25 (ANI): A rapist policeman in Britain has finally been jailed after he attacked up to 30 women during a five-year reign of terror.
PC Stephen Mitchell, 42, assaulted drug addicts in the cells and interview rooms of a city-centre police station, knowing that if they complained they were unlikely to be believed, the Daily Mail reported.
One of them, a 19-year-old drug addict when he first struck, estimated she had been abused 100 times as he kept track of her using the police computer.
Yet his colleagues ignored a series of warnings about his behaviour - some of them from his own wife. They were unaware that he had already stood trial for sex offences before he was recruited to the force.
He was eventually sacked in 2007 for having ‘consensual’ sex with one of his victims, only to be reinstated on appeal eight months later.
And when he was finally stopped, a senior detective with Northumbria Police offered him ‘a get out of jail free card’ if he agreed to resign. He refused, opting to take his chances in court.
Mitchell, a tall, muscular former soldier, was found guilty of two rapes, three indecent assaults and six charges of misconduct in a public office, involving a total of seven women.
He was cleared of three further rape charges, two indecent assaults and counts of misconduct involving another nine women. But police suspect he attacked at least a further 14.
Mitchell showed no emotion as the jury of six men and six women found him guilty at the end of a five-week trial at Newcastle Crown Court.
Justice Wilkie adjourned sentencing until January 11 but warned him he was considering an indeterminate jail term. (ANI)
- Scottish Pc jailed for life for raping, sexually assaulting vulnerable women - Jan 12, 2011
- Rapist British cop sentenced to life in jail - Jan 11, 2011
- Three British policemen sacked every week - Jan 30, 2012
- Indian doc jailed for raping, taking photos of victim during sexual assault - Nov 17, 2010
- All 269 guilty in Vachathi mass rape, assault case - Sep 29, 2011
- Indian-origin doctor jailed for rape in Australia - Nov 17, 2010
- 'Lazy' policeman faces jail for sabotaging probes - Sep 13, 2012
- Assange guilty of only 'bad sexual etiquette': British MP - Aug 22, 2012
- British soldier charged with raping minors - Nov 19, 2011
- US military instructor jailed for rape - Jul 22, 2012
- Indian-origin court clerk caught watching porn during trial - May 01, 2012
- Brit man used schoolgirl, 15, as sex toy in cult's initiation ceremony - Feb 10, 2011
- British woman jailed for prostituting teenaged girl - Aug 02, 2012
- Castration for rapist? Many women don't agree - May 03, 2011
- Man claims Glaxo drug made him a 'gay sex addict' - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: court justice, crown court, daily mail, detective, drug addict, drug addicts, eight months, interview rooms, jury of six, police computer, police station, policeman, rapes, rapist, reign of terror, seven women, sex offences, six men, stephen mitchell, wilkie