Rape kit plan for cruise ships to help preserve evidence from crime scenesAugust 31st, 2010 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Aug 31 (ANI): An inquest into the death of a 42-year-old woman in 2002 aboard a cruise ship has been told that rape kits should be put on cruise ships to help preserve evidence from crime scenes.
Dianne Brimble had died aboard the P&O cruise ship Pacific Sky on September 24, 2002.The Brisbane mother of three died from the effects of the drug GHB, also known as fantasy, on the first night of a cruise with her daughter, her sister and her niece.
Her former husband, Mark Brimble, told a reconvened inquest at Balmain Local Court that staff should be trained to oversee the tests are on all cruise ships.
“We want people to know they can go on a cruise ship and be safe,” the Daily Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“This is not just about P&O. I think we need to see the cruise industry … ensure[s] the safety and security of passengers continues on all cruise lines,” he stated.
P&O made changes including confiscating alcohol at the start of a cruise, closing bars by 4am, doubling security staff and using drug sniffer dogs.
The cruise company also introduced training programs in crime scene preservation in the event of an incident and no longer promote their holidays as “party cruises”.
The original 16-month inquest into Brimble’s death was suspended in July 2007 when charges were laid.
Passenger Mark Wilhelm was convicted of supplying GBH but charges of manslaughter were dropped.
Ryan Kuchel pleaded guilty to concealing a serious offence and Leo Silvestri was convicted of hiding an indictable offence.
Former deputy state coroner Jacqueline Milledge will make her findings on the inquest in November.
“Nothing will bring Mrs Brimble back … but some recommendations following on from the evidence is going to provide a safety net for others who find themselves enjoying a cruise,” Milledge added. (ANI)
- Cruise Ship Carnival Splendor To Reach San Diego - Nov 11, 2010
- Costa Concordia Crew 'Not Drilled in Evacuation Procedures' - Sep 15, 2012
- Two killed as ship runs aground off Italy - Jan 14, 2012
- Murderer Found on Cruise 13 Years after Escape - Sep 04, 2012
- Virginia man causes massive emergency response after Carnival cruise ship bomb threat - Mar 29, 2010
- Indian-origin man in Britain dies in house blaze - Sep 11, 2012
- Italy cruise ship survivors to get compensation - Jan 27, 2012
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
- Ex-Senator Ted Stevens confirmed dead in Alaska plane crash - Aug 11, 2010
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accident - Jan 17, 2012
- Man faces 20 years jail for dropping ship's anchor - Aug 21, 2011
- Convict turns unruly in court on hearing sentence - Jul 10, 2012
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Disney Wonder ship reaches Costa Rica - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,