Rangers, Sporting Lisbon advance to UEFA Cup quarterfinalsMarch 14th, 2008 - 1:43 pm ICT by admin
Hamburg, March 14 (DPA) Sporting Lisbon booked their quarterfinal place in the UEFA Cup with a 1-0 win over Bolton Wanderers, while Glasgow Rangers too advanced despite a 1-0 defeat against Germanan club Werder Bremen. Sporting scored an 85th-minute goal through Marques Bruno Pereirinha to secure a 2-1 aggregate win over Bolton Thursday.
With Wanderers’ exit, England’s last interest in the competition ends following the elimination of Everton (to Fiorentina) and Tottenham Hotspur (to PSV Eindhoven) Wednesday.
However, neighbours Glasgow Rangers of Scotland, who were under tremendous throughout their game against Bremen somehow managed to sneak into the last eight win a 2-1 aggregate win.
Allan McGregor was outstanding in goal for Rangers, keeping out the home side with a series of saves.
Diego gave Bremen every chance with an inspired goal in the 58th minute, which was full reward for their domination.
The Brazilian midfielder left Ranger’s Steven Whittaker and Brahim Hemdani wondering as he flicked the ball up from his right to his left foot just outside the box before firing the a shot past McGregor into the left-hand corner of the net.
But Rangers held on thanks to a point-blank save from McGregor just five minutes from time.
“We can’t complain. We had our chances and also played well but we didn’t score the goals,” said Bremen coach Thomas Schaaf.
“We created so many chances against such a defensively strong side - so much the worse that we didn’t take them.”
Lone goal scorer of the match Diego said: “I can’t remember a game where we were so much in charge and didn’t win.”
Bremen’s defeat leaves two German sides in the competition, league leaders Bayern Munich, who eliminated Anderlecht, and Bayer Leverkusen, who went past against fellow Bundesliga side SV Hamburg.
- Mcgregor wants a break for family time - Jan 23, 2012
- Atletico Madrid eliminates Hannover from Europa - Apr 06, 2012
- Chettri disappointed, Rangers to monitor Indian strikers - Dec 02, 2011
- Bolton sign winger Wylde on free transfer - Mar 17, 2012
- Borussia Dortmund edge out Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Nov 20, 2011
- Champions League: Marseille, Bayern in quarters - Mar 14, 2012
- McGregor to take part in charity yacht race - Aug 08, 2011
- McGeady eyes revenge against Alania - Jul 17, 2012
- Real Madrid reach quarterfinal of Copa del Rey - Jan 11, 2012
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Mourinho pleased with pragmatic Real Madrid - Jan 11, 2012
- Bremen sign Dutch midfielder Eljero Elia till 2016 - Jul 11, 2012
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Barcelona move closer to Real Madrid with 4-1 win - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: anderlecht, bayer leverkusen, bayern munich, bolton wanderers, brahim, coach thomas, competition league, german sides, glasgow rangers, goal scorer, league leaders, left foot, left hand corner, lone goal, minute goal, sporting lisbon, strong side, uefa cup, werder bremen, whittaker