Rana praised Mumbai attacks as ‘brilliantly’ done: HeadleyMay 26th, 2011 - 12:18 am ICT by IANS
Chicago, May 25 (IANS) Pakistan-born Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, accused of supporting Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), termed the 2008 Mumbai attack as tactically being done “brilliantly”, a Chicago court was told Wednesday.
Taking the the stand for the third day as the prosecution’s star witness, self-confessed terrorist Pakistani American David Coleman Headley so described the reaction of his one-time friend Rana.
US-born Headley, son of a Pakistani father and an American mother, who changed his given name of Daood Gilani in 2006 to scout targets for the attack without arousing suspicion, testified Wednesday that Rana praised the attacks, saying “tactically, this was done brilliantly”.
Headley said Rana also praised a member of the LeT for the attacks.
Headley, who has testified to close coordination between Pakistani spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and LeT, is expected to face intense questioning from Rana’s lawyers later Wednesday.
Defence attorneys have called Headley manipulative and claimed that in implicating Rana, he “absolutely had additional motives, including protecting his wife”.
“There’s written proof that she knew and there’s not going to be that same proof where Dr. Rana’s concerned,” Rana’s attorney Charles Swift told reporters earlier this week.
- Rana praised LeT handler for 'brilliantly' done Mumbai attack: Headley (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Rana a mere pawn in Headley's hands: Defence lawyers - May 26, 2011
- No plan to kill or kidnap Rahul Bhatt: Headley - May 27, 2011
- Headley identified Somnath temple, Bollywood as targets (Second Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Closing arguments Tuesday in Mumbai terror trial (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Terror plotter Rana seeks a fresh trial - Sep 21, 2011
- Prosecution rests in Mumbai terror trial - Jun 06, 2011
- 'Headley told LeT of landing sites for Mumbai attack' - May 24, 2011
- Violated ISI, LeT spy code to share secrets with Rana: Headley - May 27, 2011
- ISI helped LeT in Mumbai attack: Headley (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Headley visited Indian n-plant, wanted Kashmir assignment (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Pakistan's role in Mumbai attack may come out in Rana trial (Third Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Headley dealt with Pakistan officials, 'pleased' with 26/11 (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Headley no longer proud of Mumbai attack - May 27, 2011
- Rana trial jury yet to reach verdict - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: american mother, canadian businessman, coordination, david coleman, defence attorneys, gilani, inter services, isi, lashkar e taiba, lawyers, motives, proof, prosecution, spy agency, star witness, suspicion, swift, terror group, third day, time friend