Rajasthan Royal call Pakistani players to settle paymentsMay 7th, 2009 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
Karachi, May 7 (IANS) Defending champions of Indian Premier League (IPL) Rajasthan Royals have invited two of its players from Pakistan to South Africa for a meeting to settle a payment row.
A representative of the agency currently dealing with the payment issue on behalf of the IPL players said Thursday that Sohail Tanvir and Kamran Akmal, who featured in Royal’s title-winning campaign in the inaugural IPL, will make a three-day trip to South Africa later this month to sort out the issue.
The official said other players including former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik and Salman Butt will also go to South Africa to have a similar meeting with their respective IPL franchises.
The official also said the players will make a brief stop-over in England on their way to South Africa to meet Tim May, the FICA chief, in London.
“The Pakistani cricketers were given a raw deal by the IPL and now we are trying our best to ensure that they get their dues as soon as possible,” said the official.
A large number of Pakistani cricketers featured in the IPL last summer. Some of them including Tanvir - who finished as the most successful bowler in the contest - were regarded among the success stories of the inaugural season.
However, the Pakistani players were forced to pull out of the second edition of IPL in the wake of last November’s terrorist attack in Mumbai that strained Pakistan-India relations.
- Pakistan cricketers get nod to play IPL - Dec 02, 2009
- No takers for Pakistani players at IPL auction - Jan 19, 2010
- Visa clearance for four Pakistani players; will be auctioned Jan 19 (Lead) - Dec 10, 2009
- Pakistan board hopeful its players will join in IPL - Dec 10, 2009
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Yousuf gets a chance to make cut for World Cup probables - Dec 20, 2010
- PCB chairman's visit revives Pakistan's IPL hopes - May 28, 2012
- 12 Indians sign up for Sri Lankan Premier League - May 16, 2011
- PCB recalls Younus to Test and T20 squads, overlooks Malik, Akmal, Yousuf - Dec 01, 2010
- Pakistan names World Cup squad minus Yousuf, mystery prevails over skipper - Jan 19, 2011
- 'Recuperating' Tanvir dropped from Pak squad for South Africa Test series - Nov 05, 2010
- Pakistan players to be favourites at IPL auction - Jan 18, 2010
- Pakistani players' absence will rob IPL of some gloss: Afridi - Dec 09, 2009
- Kamran, Naved in 30-man preliminary Pak World Cup squad - Jan 05, 2011
- Tanvir to play for Rajasthan Royals against Middlesex - Jul 03, 2009
Tags: day trip, inaugural season, india relations, ipl, kamran akmal, karachi, last november, mumbai, omar khalid, pakistan captain, pakistan india, pakistani cricketers, premier league, raw deal, royals, shoaib malik, sohail, tanvir, terrorist attack, tim may