Rajan Zed urges Hindus to help “save the world”September 5th, 2010 - 4:12 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Sept 5 (ANI): Noted Hindu statesman Rajan Zed has urged Hindus world over to “save the world” by countering environmental crisis with minor changes in their lifestyles.
Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that environment was the paramount issue of our times and it should not be just left to the specialists. It was our job and every little effort counted. Be an inspiration for others.
Rajan Zed suggested Hindus to use and consume less, observe and respect nature, help the not so fortunate, plant trees to compensate for carbon emissions, ride a bicycle, support environmentally responsible companies, buy organic, save water, eat local and seasonal food, be vegetarian, become eco-chic, replace bottled water with tap water, etc.
Humanity was facing a threatening ecological crisis and religions should not stay out as silent spectators, Zed said and urged all world religious leaders, religions and denominations to openly bless the environmental causes. Faiths coming out in support of the environment would be a remarkable signal, he added.
Senseless uses of natural resources, extravagance, greed, etc., were some of the major causes of this ecological crisis. Current trend of one percent increase in emissions every year, if left unchecked, would be catastrophic for the environment and humanity, Rajan Zed warned.
Zed pointed out that ancient Hindu scriptures, especially Atharva-Veda, were highly respectful of mother nature. He also urged Hindu temples worldwide to become “green temples” in order to provide environmental leadership in the community; to give devotees a healthy, toxic-free sacred place; and to preserve God’s creation for present and future generations.
Hinduism, oldest and third largest religion of the world, has about one billion adherents and moksh (liberation) is its ultimate goal. (ANI)
- Hindus back Catholic Bishops on Climate Change policy protecting world's poor - Feb 19, 2011
- Hindus laud Pope's interest in solar-powered electric "popemobile" - Dec 03, 2010
- Hindus want world's wealthy countries to do more for environment - Apr 07, 2010
- Hindus laud Australia Catholic Church for abstinence from meat on Ember Days - Aug 27, 2010
- Hindus commend Pope on environmental stand - Aug 31, 2010
- Hindus congratulate Pope for making Vatican as world's most environment friendly nation - Dec 12, 2010
- Hindus laud Norway's Oya Music Festival for environment friendliness - Aug 16, 2010
- Hindus and Jews advocate inclusion of world religions in ambitious Copenhagen Climate Summit - Dec 02, 2009
- Hindus Laud Australia Catholic Church - Aug 26, 2010
- Hindus urged on Ramnavmi to seek ideal characteristics exhibited by Lord Ram - Apr 06, 2011
- Hindus greet Jains on Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 15, 2011
- Hindus back Catholics' call for meatless Fridays - Mar 07, 2011
- Hindus laud Pope for environmental stand - Dec 16, 2009
- Hindus want religions join hands to tackle poverty - Jan 02, 2011
- Without endorsing any party, Zed asks Hindu-Americans to enthusiastically vote - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,