Railway police rescue tortoises in PatnaJuly 19th, 2008 - 10:06 pm ICT by ANI
Baksar ( Bihar ), July 19 (ANI): Railway police has rescued about 40 tortoises from Baksar in Bihar and handed them over to a zoological park in Patna .
The tortoises were found abandoned at the Baksar station in Bihar on Friday. The smugglers were reportedly taking them from Uttar Pradesh to West Bengal .
Police handed over the tortoises to ” Sanjay Gandhi Zoological Park ” in Patna . Five tortoises died on their way to the zoo.
After medical examination, tortoises have been left in the zoo lake.
Railway police handed over the tortoises yesterday. And they were rescued from the Baksar station. These were found abandoned at the station and were brought here after three days. About 40 tortoises were rescued, out of which five died on its way. We have released 35 tortoises in the lake, said Subash Verma, Deputy Director, Patna Zoo.
Sanjay Gandhi Zoo currently houses 400 tortoises, most of them rescued by the police from different regions of Bihar . Zoo authorities claim that it is the only rescue centre of tortoises in Bihar .
The tortoises are in great demand as exotic pets.
India has banned the trade of tortoises under the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act but the huge premium and lax laws are increasingly luring poachers to the trade.
The rare species are land-dwelling and feed on succulent materials. Most of them are found in semi-arid zones in the southern and north-western parts of India . (ANI)
- Two black bucks find a home at Patna Zoo - May 02, 2010
- Bihar, Tripura zoos to exchange rare animals - Jun 13, 2010
- Three poachers held with tortoises - Sep 07, 2011
- The only white tigress of Patna zoo dies - Jul 03, 2011
- Ten train passengers found drugged, robbed - Jan 09, 2012
- Two poachers held with around 200 tortoises - Jun 09, 2011
- Two poachers nabbed with 95 tortoises - May 04, 2011
- Sweeden's park where wolves killed Zookeeper now offers "wild encounters" to its visitors - Jun 19, 2012
- Wolves kill wildlife park worker - Jun 18, 2012
- Zoo gears up for monsoon season in Bihar - Jul 29, 2010
- Crocodile found in trench in Hyderabad - Nov 09, 2010
- 10 missing girl students found pushed into flesh trade - Aug 04, 2012
- Forest officials rescue 39 smuggled tortoises in Nainital - Feb 13, 2011
- Dumb woman killed, body chopped in Bihar - Apr 17, 2012
- Woman arrested with 85 tortoises - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: arid zones, bihar, deputy director, different regions, dwelling, exotic pets, lax laws, medical examination, patna, poachers, police rescue, railway police, rare species, sanjay gandhi, smugglers, tortoises, west bengal police, wildlife protection act, zoo lake, zoological park