Railway engineer rescued, 16 militants surrender in TripuraJune 6th, 2008 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, June 6 (IANS) Security forces in Tripura have rescued a railway engineer from the custody of tribal separatists after 40 days in captivity, officials said here Friday. A police spokesman said there was heavy exchange of fire Thursday between Tripura State Rifles (TSR) personnel and militants of the National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) at Champahower, 122 km north of here.
“After a 40-minute gunfight with the TSR, the militants fled and we rescued the railway engineer Debabrata Das,” said police spokesman Nepal Das.
After killing a railway worker, NLFT rebels kidnapped Das while he was supervising railway construction works at Tuikarma in western Tripura April 26. Das hails from Hailakandi in Assam.
Meanwhile, 16 NLFT militants surrendered before security forces in Tripura Thursday.
The tribal separatists fled their hideout at Chittagong hill tracts of southeast Bangladesh and decided to surrender, a state government official said.
- Abducted Tripura tribals flee rebels' camp in Bangladesh - Dec 02, 2011
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- NLFT militants kidnap three farmers in Tripura - May 07, 2012
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
- Seven more Tripura tribal separatists surrender - Dec 17, 2009
- Tripura guerrillas abduct eight villagers - Jul 20, 2011
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- Three Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Jul 04, 2012
- Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Tribal militants abduct six people in Tripura - Jul 01, 2011
- Six tribal separatists surrender in Tripura - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: agartala, assam, captivity, chittagong hill tracts, construction works, debabrata, government official, gunfight, hideout, national liberation front, nlft, police spokesman, railway construction, railway engineer, railway worker, rebels, rifles, security forces, separatists, state government