Rahul Raj cremated amid tight security in PatnaOctober 29th, 2008 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 29 (IANS) A Bihar youth killed in police firing in Mumbai was cremated here amid tight security late on Diwali night.Rahul Raj, 25, a resident of the Kadamkuan neighbourhood here was shot dead by police Monday after he attacked the conductor of a bus and fired at and injured a passenger. He also fired in the air, Maharashtra Police officials said.
Raj’s father K.P. Singh lit the funeral pyre late Tuesday night even as people across India were winding down after the Diwali festivities.
The residents of Kadamkuan did not celebrate Diwali Tuesday to protest Raj’s killing. Instead, hundreds of them, including students, participated in the funeral procession and attended the cremation to show their sympathy for Raj.
A relative of Raj said that soon after his body arrived here Tuesday night from Mumbai, the state government persuaded his family to perform the cremation late at night instead of on Wednesday in view of increasing tension and likely protests by the local people.
Raj’s father demanded justice for his slain son. “My son was killed in a fake encounter. It was a big conspiracy and a CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) probe will bring out the truth,” Singh said here.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has also demanded a CBI probe into Raj’s killing.
Before being shot dead, Raj had dropped currency notes from the bus stating that he wanted to kill Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray for inciting his party workers to attack youths from Bihar who were in Mumbai for a railway recruitment examination. A Bihari youth was killed as MNS cadres ransacked the examination centre.
Terming Thackeray a “mental case”, Railways Minister Lalu Prasad has demanded he be arrested.
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Raj Thackeray publicity-hungry: Nitish Kumar - Sep 02, 2012
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Lalu's RJD backs Nitish on Bihar Day in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Killing of Bihar youths in Mumbai blacks out Diwali at home - Oct 28, 2008
- MNS to help Maharashtrian youths with railway exam - Feb 02, 2011
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Samajwadi Party files complaint against Raj Thackeray - Aug 22, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- Elderly man beaten to death in Rajasthan - Aug 11, 2011
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011