Rahm Emanuel wins Chicago Mayor bid with over 50 percent votesFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 23 (ANI): Rahm Emanuel, the former White House chief of staff, has been elected as the Mayor of Chicago, winning over 50 percent of votes.
With 87 percent of the vote in the Chicago Mayor’s race counted on Tuesday, 51-year-old Emanuel had won 54 percent of votes, avoiding a runoff in April, ABC News reports.
“Looking forward to working together as your next mayor,” he tweeted after his victory.
His closest challenger, Gery Chico, drew only 25 percent of the vote, while former Senator Carol Moseley Braun, the so-called “consensus” African-American candidate, stood fourth with only about 8 percent, the report said.
Emanuel, who has taken over from Richard M. Daley, would reportedly take charge of his office in May.
Richard M. Daley, who is retiring after 22 years in office, has served longer than his famous father, Richard J. Daley, the last of America’s big-city bosses, the report said.
Emanuel faces huge challenges including the city’s budget deficit. (ANI)
- Ex-aide Obama wins Chicago mayoral vote - Feb 23, 2011
- Illinois SC allows Rahm Emanuel to run for Chicago's Mayor post - Jan 28, 2011
- Mayor Daley Calls It Quits After 20 Years - Sep 08, 2010
- Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley won't run for the re-election - Sep 08, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel Reveals His Political Aspirations - Apr 21, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel Desires To Occupy The Post Of The Chicago Mayor - Apr 21, 2010
- Democratic Supreme Court puts Rahm Emanuel Back on Mayor Ballot - Jan 26, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel ruled ineligible for appearing on mayor's ballot by Illinois appeals court - Jan 25, 2011
- Obama faces uphill re-election climb, says ex-aide - Oct 10, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel wants to become the Mayor of Chicago - Apr 21, 2010
- Illinois Appellate Court Bars Rahm Emanuel From Contesting In Elections For Mayor - Jan 25, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel departs as White House Chief of Staff - Oct 02, 2010
- US court disqualifies Emanuel from contesting Chicago's mayor post over residency issues - Jan 25, 2011
- Indian-American on panel to make Chicago immigrant friendly - Aug 18, 2012
- Rahm Emanuel Allowed To Run For Mayor Finally - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: 22 years, abc news, american candidate, budget deficit, carol moseley braun, challenger, challenges, chicago mayor, chief of staff, consensus, mayor of chicago, old emanuel, rahm emanuel, richard m daley, runoff, senator carol moseley, victory, vote, white house, white house chief of staff