Racist UK lorry driver escapes community serviceNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:31 am ICT by admin
Officials were quoted by the Daily Mail as saying that they were concerned Carnell, 37, from Eastbourne, East Sussex, might sue for compensation if he was injured in a road accident.
Carnell, who was convicted for attacking his ex-wife’s Sri Lankan boyfriend, said that, although he had been willing to complete his sentence, he was ‘bewildered but happy’ by the verdict.
Last night, his ex-wife Suzanne Carnell, 34, criticised the decision, saying: “I’m really upset. It’s not right.
“Now he’s free to go to the pub drinking with his friends and causing trouble. He should have gone to jail. It’s not a strong enough punishment. He must be laughing.”
Lewes Crown Court heard how Carnell, who had drunk 15 pints of lager at a Christmas party, hurled racist abuse at Mr. Clarence Nesan before punching him six times in the head.
Mrs Carnell and her daughter, Kerry Potter, were also hit when they tried to intervene.
Carnell was given a six-month suspended sentence with 150 hours of unpaid work and ordered to attend alcohol-counselling sessions.
But when he arrived to pick up litter on his first day, officials said they were concerned the sentence might take him over the EU Working Time Directive of 48 hours and ordered him to stop.
They then took the case back to court and asked a judge to remove the work order. (ANI)
- Chris Brown wants Rihanna restraining order lifted - Jan 30, 2011
- Chris Klein Serves Jail Time for Second DUI - Sep 07, 2010
- Chinese official given death for taking bribe - Apr 27, 2012
- Michael Lohan sentenced to probation - Nov 17, 2011
- Judge says jail is 'too easy' for crook - Oct 02, 2011
- Man blames seven-year-old girl in sex attack case - Jul 21, 2012
- Canadian jailed for beating his puppy to death - Feb 03, 2011
- Mel Gibson plans to re-launch Hollywood career - Mar 13, 2011
- Australian gets life term for killing three sons - Oct 15, 2010
- Grigorieva may sue Gibson - Mar 13, 2011
- Murder suspect caught after severed 'thumb fell from sky' - Jan 14, 2011
- Man pushes lit firework up boy's hips, jailed - Aug 29, 2012
- Former beauty queen jailed for kidnapping and torturing her ex - Dec 11, 2010
- Indian-American treats wife as slave; gets away with probation - May 24, 2012
- Lohan prepared to accept jail term - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: bewildered, court hearing, crown court, eastbourne, lewes, lorry driver, mail, mrs carnell, nesan, officials, pints, racist abuse, road accident, saying that they, suspended sentence, wife suzanne, working time directive