Racist play lands UKs National Theatre in troubleMarch 4th, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.4 (ANI): A controversial play about immigration has landed Britains National Theatre in the midst of an anti-racism row.
If the body continues to show England People Very Nice, a new play by Richard Bean, anti-racism campaigners are now planning to picket audiences arriving at the theatre and Travelex, one of the National’’s main sponsors.
Last Friday, two protesters clambered on to the stage at the National’’s Olivier Theatre and condemned Bean as racist.
For 10 minutes, playwright Hussain Ismail and teacher Keith Kinsella interrupted a talk that Bean was giving prior to a performance of the play, before being ejected by security guards.
Bean’’s play charts the settling of the French Huguenot, Irish, Jewish and Bengali communities in Bethnal Green since the 17th century.
The National has billed it as “a riotous journey through four waves of immigration” in the East End of London.
But the protesters have failed to find anything humorous about its themes.
“Richard Bean is making it seem like all Bangladeshis are drug dealers or users, muggers and marry their cousins,”Ismail, 43, said. (ANI)
- National Theatre to stage new play on Islams place in modern Britain - Sep 18, 2008
- At 86, Badal Sircar frenziedly writes, reads plays - Mar 10, 2011
- Christian group angers anti-racist campaigners by insisting for a white Jesus - Jan 27, 2010
- Bengal's tallest stage icon passes away at 85 - May 15, 2011
- 'Legally Blonde' star wins best musical actress at Laurence Olivier Awards - Mar 14, 2011
- The stage as a forum of protest in West Bengal - Apr 25, 2011
- Australia to unveil new Multiculturalism Policy to tackle racial discrimination - Feb 16, 2011
- Racism in Australia gets similar to United States' Deep South: Johnny Lee Clary - Mar 15, 2011
- Not enough good scripts to go around: Tom Stoppard - Jan 22, 2012
- Audience stages walk out over Royal Shakespeare Company's production - Sade - Oct 24, 2011
- Judi Dench voted greatest stage star - Dec 17, 2010
- Euro 2012: UEFA fines Croatia for racism - Jun 20, 2012
- Rachel Weisz wins best actress trophy - Mar 22, 2010
- Punjabi playwright Gursharan Singh dead - Sep 28, 2011
- Indian-origin actress faces racism on Twitter - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: 17th century, audiences, bengali, campaigners, cousins, french huguenot, immigration, ismail, kinsella, last friday, midst, muggers, olivier theatre, playwright, protesters, racism row, s olivier, security guards, settling, waves