Rachida Dati’s ‘plan to oust Carla Bruni-Sarkozy from Elysee Palace’September 17th, 2010 - 2:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 17 (ANI): An official biography has claimed that Rachida Dati, a rival and former justice minister, targeted French First Lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy to oust her from the Elysée Palace to bring back President Nicolas Sarkozy’s second wife.
The book says that Bruni-Sarkozy received a police and security services file in March - including phone call listings and text messages - showing that Dati and Sophie Douzal, the President’s ex-sister-in-law, conspired by spreading rumours and stories to have her removed and replaced by Cécilia Attias, whom he divorced in October 2007. Sarkozy married Carla Bruni in February 2008.
The claims are made in Carla and the Ambitious by journalists Michael Darmon and Yves Derai, the day after another, unauthorised, biography hit bookshops in France.
Dati, a former star of Sarkozy’s cabinet who fell out of favour with the president, was prepared to “stop at nothing to return to such dizzy heights,” the authors wrote.
As a result, she and her fellow plotter “hatched a plan more fitting of the tradition of salon scheming than of a modern political fight. Rachida Dati and Miss Douzal believed Carla Bruni was a weak link in the presidency. Their plan was to bring back Cecilia to the Elysée.”
The book says that Dati and Douzal planned to spread rumours about Bruni-Sarkozy’s infidelity and stories that Ms Attias was “bored” living in New York and “dreamed” of returning to politics.
After perusing the police report, a furious Bruni-Sarkozy phoned Cécilia in New York, where she lives with her new husband Richard Attias and Sarkozy’s youngest son Louis, to warn her against taking part in the plot.
“I have to inform you that two people with whom you are in contact are behaving in an unacceptable way with regard to us. These people are your ex-sister-in-law Sophie and Rachida Dati. This is not my suspicions or idle gossip. I have a police file that you can see. I know you have nothing to do with these women but I urge you to keep your distance from them,” the Telegraph quoted her as telling Attias.
Dati and the Elysée declined to comment. (ANI)
- Bruni camp releasing biography to clash with scathing unauthorised version - Sep 16, 2010
- Bruni camp releasing own biography to scupper scathing unauthorised version - Sep 16, 2010
- Carla Bruni calms storm over marriage crisis rumours - Apr 08, 2010
- Iran calls Carla Bruni a 'prostitute' over campaign to save cheating woman - Aug 30, 2010
- Michelle Obama never said life 'hell': France, US - Sep 17, 2010
- Book author defends sources over Michelle Obama 'hell' comment - Sep 18, 2010
- Sarkozy declares war over on journalists over affair gossip - Apr 06, 2010
- Carla Bruni delays launch of her new album for hubby - Apr 02, 2011
- Carla Bruni-Sarkozy 'told to delay new album' - Sep 24, 2010
- Carla Bruni glams up NYC with black dress - Sep 24, 2009
- Naomi Campbell praises French president - Oct 19, 2010
- Carla Bruni named best dressed woman - Aug 04, 2011
- Working with Carla Bruni-Sarkozy was 'pleasant', says Woody Allen - Aug 23, 2010
- New book to lift the lid on Carla's love life - Sep 02, 2010
- 'Nicolas Sarkozy blames Rachida Dati for spreading affair rumors' - Apr 01, 2010
Tags: carla bruni, cilia, darmon, dizzy heights, elys, elysee palace, infidelity, justice minister, lady carla, nicolas sarkozy, police report, political fight, president nicolas sarkozy, rachida dati, richard attias, rumours, second wife, sister in law, unauthorised biography, youngest son