Queensland Police arrest nine in international child porn ring bust

November 14th, 2007 - 8:35 am ICT by admin  
Eleven persons are being investigated in New South Wales as part of an operation, reports news.com.au.

A man who allegedly filmed himself sexually assaulting his four-year-old granddaughter is among those so far facing a total of 188 charges in Queensland after more than two million images were found in their collective possession. New South Wales police today confirmed 11 separate investigations were underway, but no arrests had been made.

Some other states and territories are understood to be co-operating with the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in an Australia-wide search for those who subscribed to a European website which sold home-made videos of underage girls that customers were able to order tailor-made or even appear in themselves.

Detective Superintendent Peter Crawford today revealed Queensland officers had sparked the international investigation involving 28 countries when they uncovered a European-made pornographic video on the internet in late 2006. The operation led to the arrest of a 42-year-old Italian filmmaker who was running a website from his Ukrainian studio.

From that arrest, police identified 2500 subscribers across the world and in Europe alone have made 92 arrests and located 23 child victims aged between nine and 16.

Crawford said it was hoped the operation had significantly disrupted the network.

He said those arrested had come from various backgrounds, none of which included working with children. Among those arrested in Queensland was a 47-year-old man from Kallangur, on Brisbane’s northside, who has been charged with four counts of indecent dealing with a child under 12 years of age. He also faces 134 charges of indecent dealing by taking indecent photographs, one charge of accessing child exploitation material and two charges of possessing child exploitation material. The man appeared in Brisbane Magistrates Court on November 2 and is due to reappear on December 14.

Others charged include a 48-year-old Mackay man, a 54-year-old Parkwood man, a 60-year-old Mt Gravatt man, a 54-year-old Labrador man, a 50-year-old Mt Isa man, a 36-year-old Cairns man, a 33-year-old Forestdale man and a 29-year-old Chevron Island man. They will all appear in various courts over the next two months. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe