Queen to personally pin on Prince Harrys war medalMarch 3rd, 2008 - 2:00 pm ICT by admin
London, Mar 3 (ANI): Prince Harry is in line to receive an Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan, and the one who will be pinning on the war medal will be none other than his proud grandmother Queen Elizabeth II.
Harrys regiment, the Household Cavalry invited the Queen to carry out the awards ceremony at Combermere Barracks, close to Windsor Castle, and she was more than delighted to accept.
She will now spend more than an hour decorating hundreds of men who will be returning from war torn areas of the Middle East.
It is extremely rare for her to agree to give out campaign medals to hundreds and hundreds of men by visiting their barracks on their return, The Sun quoted a source, as saying.
It is hoped we will have permission for all those who served to have a regimental photograph in front of Windsor Castle.
The Queen knows how much her grandson wanted to come out to Afghanistan and do the job he signed for and it will be a very proud moment for them both on the parade ground.
Harry, in the meantime, has returned early from Afghanistan where he had been fighting the Taliban.
His role included calling in air strikes, carrying out surveillance of Taliban fighters, giving final clearance for attacks on Taliban targets and also guiding in some bombing runs. (ANI)
- Afghan girls inspired by Kohistani going to Olympics - Aug 15, 2012
- Prince Harry to get campaign medal - Apr 28, 2008
- My grandmom has a very good sense of humour: Prince Harry - Mar 12, 2012
- Prince Charles honours Britain's Gurkha soldiers - Jan 29, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Taliban promise to capture, kill Prince Harry - Feb 11, 2012
- Harry gets trained for hostage situation - Jan 31, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- Medal thrown away by soldier returned after 90 years - Apr 30, 2010
- Prince William appointed Colonel of Irish Guards - Feb 11, 2011
- Prince Harry to get medal today for Afghanistan campaign - May 05, 2008
- Former Miss England 'Combat Barbie' all set for Afghan war duty - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Prince William will not allow marriage to disrupt dream of fighting in Afghanistan' - Apr 23, 2011
- Reservists back from war may have mental problems - Aug 20, 2011
- Prince Harry blasts Oz gossip mag over Afghanistan details - Jan 05, 2010
Tags: afghanistan, awards ceremony, campaign medals, elizabeth ii, household cavalry, middle east, operational service medal, parade ground, photograph, prince harry, prince harrys, proud grandmother, proud moment, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, surveillance, taliban fighters, targets, war medal, windsor castle