Queen Mothers bronze statue unveiled in LondonFebruary 25th, 2009 - 1:00 pm ICT by ANI
London, February 25 (ANI): A bronze statue in honour of the Queen Mother was unveiled by her daughter Queen Elizabeth in central London.
The statue was made to stand in front of the Queen Mothers husband King George VI as a centre-piece of a 2 million pound monument on The Mall.
The event saw the gathering of senior members of the Royal Family including Prince William, Prince Harry, the Duke of Edinburgh, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke of York, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.
The 9ft 6inch artwork was sculpted by Philip Jackson, who said he wanted to create the much-loved and inspiring royals sense of fun.
The Queen Mothers influence was felt for almost an entire century and she was well loved by a large part of the population,” the Daily Express quoted him as saying.
I wanted to give her animation because she was a very animated person - when you met her she was the life and soul of the party.
The wind is catching her robes, to give her a slight sense of movement, and she has the slightest vestiges of a smile, he added.
Prince Charles also paid a touching tribute to his darling grandmother, saying: At long last my grandparents are reunited in this joint symbol, which in particular reminds us of all they stood for and meant to so many during the darkest days this country has ever faced.
All of us gathered here today will I know miss my darling grandmothers vitality. (ANI)
- Britain's Princess Beatrice wants 'real job' - Mar 03, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- The Duchess of Cornwall is '8th lowest royal' - Apr 19, 2011
- Diana's friend Sarah not invited to Wills-Kate wedding - Feb 19, 2011
- Duchess of York not invited to William's wedding - Feb 19, 2011
- Royal outcaste Fergie to get invited to Will and Kate's wedding - Jan 23, 2011
- Women make style statements with hats at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- British royal family now on Flickr - Jul 25, 2010
- My grandmom has a very good sense of humour: Prince Harry - Mar 12, 2012
- Queen's children and grandchildren 'to lose armed guards' - Aug 15, 2010
- Guy Ritchie, Joss Stone invited for royal wedding - Apr 24, 2011
- Elizabeth II becomes second-longest reigning British monarch - May 12, 2011
- Queen's granddaughter declares she's single and available on Facebook - Sep 25, 2010
- Hat worn at British royal wedding on sale - May 12, 2011
- Kate Middleton's cousin does a striptease - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: beatrice and eugenie, bronze statue, daily express, darkest days, duchess of cornwall, duke of edinburgh, duke of york, king george vi, london london, philip jackson, prince charles, prince william, prince william prince harry, princesses beatrice and eugenie, queen elizabeth, queen mother, queen mothers, sense of fun, sense of movement, william prince