Queen highlights the importance of sports in Christmas messageDecember 24th, 2010 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 24 (ANI): In her Christmas message to the nation, the Queen will highlight the importance of sports as a medium that can help build communities and create harmony.
The monarch has chosen to focus her annual broadcast on how games and exercise can positively distance people from their day-to-day lives, reports the Scotsman.
During her television address, the Queen will say: “In the parks of towns and cities, and on village greens up and down the country, countless thousands of people every week give up their time to participate in sport and exercise of all sorts, or simply encourage others to do so.
“These kinds of activity are common throughout the world and play a part in providing a different perspective on life.”
The Queen’s message will focus on how sport can be used to encourage the development of vital social skills.
Her speech is one of the rare occasions when she does not turn to the government for advice and is able to voice her own views.
Written by the monarch, it usually has a strong religious framework, reflects current issues and often draws on her own experiences. (ANI)
- Queen's first ever Christmas message is YouTube hit - Jan 03, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth's Christmas message to focus on family - Dec 25, 2011
- Elizabeth's 1957 video has one mn hits on YouTube - Jan 03, 2011
- President greets nation on Christmas - Dec 24, 2011
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- Corrupt babus making life miserable for SMUs: Survey - Jan 24, 2011
- Self-distancing can help you quell anger - Jul 03, 2012
- 2010 Christmas Card Of The Kardashians Is Defined By Elegance, Stylishness And Seriousness - Dec 17, 2010
- Queen found 'The King's Speech' 'moving and enjoyable' - Feb 04, 2011
- President, Vice President greet citizens on occasion of Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Royal wedding 'to serve as rehearsal for the Queen's funeral' - Apr 25, 2011
- Commonwealth Games: Queen's Baton reaches Srinagar - Jun 30, 2010
- Middleton to participate in Queen's diamond jubilee celebrations - Dec 06, 2010
- For the first time in 44 years, UK Queen to skip Commonwealth Games - May 30, 2010
- Dissatisfied with fitness regime? Try a personal trainer - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: all sorts, broadcast, christmas, christmas message, countless thousands, current issues, dec 24, different perspective, exercise, experiences, games, harmony, london, monarch, queen, rare occasions, scotsman, television address, towns and cities, village greens