Queen Elizabeth’s estate value falls by 19 percentJuly 21st, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 21 (ANI): The global financial meltdown has affected Queen Elizabeth equally with the value of her private estate plummeting by 19 per cent because of a crash in the property market and shares.
Her Duchy of Lancaster estate, which provides an income for the monarch that she uses to pay allowances to other members of the Royal Family including Princes Andrew and Edward, along with Princess Anne, fell in value from 399 million pounds to 322 million pounds in accounts published on Monday.
But by cutting costs and with careful management she still increased her annual profit from the Duchy, a 46,000-acre estate that has provided an income for the sovereign since Henry IV established it in 1399, the Daily Express reported.
Her surplus, which goes into the Privy Purse and is used to pay for many of her family’s official duties not covered by Government grants, rose by 5.4 per cent from 12.6 million pounds to 13.3 million pounds in the financial year ending on March 31.
Lord Shuttleworth, chairman of the Duchy’s council, said: “We have suffered a substantial fall in the capital value of our assets during the year, principally in the commercial property and financial investment portfolios.”
In its report, the Duchy detailed how its financial portfolio dropped by 26.2 per cent in value after across-the-board losses in stocks, shares and other investments.
It saw the value of its commercial property drop 23.6 per cent amid a dramatic fall in demand for office space.
The Queen, who received 41.5 million pounds from taxpayers last year to support her work as head of state, has increasingly had to dip into the Privy Purse to pay for her family’s official duties. (ANI)
- Value of Queen's private estate increases by 25 million pounds - Jul 28, 2010
- British queen's pay rise ruled out - Dec 06, 2011
- Cost of maintaining British royal family drops - Jul 05, 2010
- Recession-hit Queen 'to go bankrupt in 2 years' - Jul 06, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth keeps finances secret - May 06, 2012
- Lennar Corporation acquires approximately $740 million of distressed real estate assets - Oct 02, 2010
- Now real estate sector needs reform (Comment) - Oct 30, 2011
- Kutch ruler's son cannot claim father's riches: Court - Aug 04, 2010
- Prince Charles's organic food firm lost 3.3 million pounds in 2009 - Feb 10, 2010
- Who will pick the Royal wedding tab - Prince William or Brit taxpayers? - Nov 18, 2010
- Beijing home prices drop by 11 percent - Jan 16, 2012
- Britain's spending cuts to affect queen's purse - Jun 22, 2010
- Making housing affordable: Realty industry needs budget boost (Comment) - Feb 26, 2012
- Kim Kardashian to buy Beckham's home? - Mar 27, 2012
- Realty industry has little to cheer from budget (Comment) - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: acre estate, careful management, daily express, dramatic fall, duchy of lancaster, financial investment, financial meltdown, government grants, head of state, henry iv, investment portfolios, princes, princess anne, private estate, privy purse, queen elizabeth, royal family, s council, shuttleworth, stocks shares