Queen Elizabeth to receive Obama and wife, say British reportsMarch 6th, 2009 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 6 (DPA) US President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle are expected to be received by Queen Elizabeth II during the Group of 20 (G20) summit in London next month, according to media reports Friday.
The private visit is due to take place at Buckingham Palace before the start of the one-day summit of world leaders in London April 2.
Although the palace has not confirmed the fixture, the BBC’s royal correspondent and a number of newspapers said Friday that it was certain to happen.
“This will be a brief but striking encounter between an American president who’ll have been in power for some 70 days and a British monarch who has lived through the Second World War, the Cold War and the current terrorist threat,” the BBC’s royal correspondent said.
The Daily Telegraph described the meeting as a “getting to know you” session, as it is unusual for the queen to receive foreign heads of state outside a formal state visit.
The paper said that Obama and his wife were expected to fly into London on Air Force One March 31, and stay at the US ambassador’s residence of Winfield House, in central London.
- Queen Elizabeth welcomes President Obama, Michelle - May 24, 2011
- Obama accepts Queen's invitation to visit UK in May - Feb 18, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth great grandmom again - Mar 31, 2012
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- British monarch to visit Ireland after a century - Mar 05, 2011
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge post wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Olympics: Queen 'Bonds' with Craig at opening ceremony - Jul 28, 2012
- Princess Diana's palace opens to public - Mar 26, 2012
- Queen, Michelle Obama strike 'firm friendship since G20 summit meet' - Jun 14, 2009
- Queen Elizabeth's Christmas message to focus on family - Dec 25, 2011
- 90-year-old Prince Philip regrets leaving naval career - May 17, 2011
- Situation vacant for chauffeur worth the Royals - Aug 15, 2012
- Obama to meet Queen ahead of G-20 - Mar 06, 2009
- President Obama to call British PM Cameron on Tuesday - May 12, 2010
Tags: air force one, ambassador, american president, barack obama, british monarch, buckingham palace, central london, daily telegraph, dpa, elizabeth ii, london march, private visit, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal correspondent, second world war, terrorist threat, wife michelle, winfield, world leaders