Queen Elizabeth to open Commonwealth summit in TrinidadOctober 17th, 2009 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
By Paras Ramoutar
Port-of-Spain, Oct 17 (IANS) Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II will open the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting Nov 27 at the Cultural Centre here. Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be among 52 leaders attending the summit.
Though the centre is yet to be completed, Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Patrick Manning on a visit to the facility last week confirmed that it will be ready for the three-day summit.
The queen will be accompanied by her husband Prince Phillip.In her capacity as Head of the Commonwealth of Nations, the queen will deliver the keynote address at the summit. US President Barack Obama was invited as a special guest but will not be able to attend.
Chutney music, an indigenous form of music laced with Bhojpuri words, will form part of the opening ceremony, according to Brian Mac Farlane, coordinator of the cultural extravaganza at the opening ceremony.
Mac Farlane had coordinated the music for the Fifth Summit of the Americas here last April and faced criticism from the Indo-Trinidadian population for not including any East Indian element. People of Indian origin constitute about 40 percent of Trinidad’s 1.3 million people.
- LITTLE INDIA OF THE CARRIBEAN HAS A HINDU LADY PRIME MINISTER - May 27, 2010
- Lessons in tabla, dholak in Trinidad schools - Apr 08, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago, India to celebrate I-Day jointly - Aug 10, 2012
- India to showcase export potential in Trinidad - May 09, 2010
- Ayurveda centre opens at Indian mission in Trinidad - Jul 30, 2012
- Trinidad marks Indians' arrival with muliculture ministry - May 31, 2010
- Trinidad and Tobago celebrates Holi - Mar 12, 2012
- Manmohan Singh to get Buss-up-shut at Commonwealth summit - Nov 21, 2009
- 1,200 Caribbean troopers to guard Commonwealth meet - Nov 15, 2009
- 'Dulha Mil Gaya' opens Indian film festival in Trinidad - Nov 20, 2010
- Suriname observes festival similar to India's Mahakumbh - Feb 23, 2011
- Goan dances enthrall Trinidad and Tobago audience - Aug 13, 2011
- Robbery bid at Indian bank in Trinidad and Tobago - Jun 11, 2012
- 'Commonwealth leaders should reconnect with electorate' (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Commonwealth summit to go ahead despite swine flu - Jul 14, 2009
Tags: barack obama, chutney music, commonwealth of nations, commonwealth summit, indian origin, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, keynote address, mac farlane, manmohan singh, patrick manning, port of spain, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prince phillip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, summit of the americas, trinidad and tobago, trinidadian population