Queen Elizabeth gags royal household staffDecember 28th, 2008 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 28 (DPA) Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II has banned staff from revealing details of their work in a bid to prevent further embarrassing leaks of the goings-on in the royal household, according to reports Sunday.More than 200 butlers, cooks and general and cleaning staff are to sign confidentiality contracts by which they could lose their jobs for discussing any aspect of the royal household even with their own families, the News of the World reported.
Employees would also be required to return any royal souvenirs, letters, gifts and their personal diaries once they leave the monarch’s service.
They would also not be allowed to keep harmless “thank you” notes from royals or Christmas gift tags, the newspaper said.
The report quoted a palace employee as saying: “We will fight this. It’s like working for M15,” a reference to the British intelligence service.
The gagging order follows incidents involving former palace employees, including the late Princess Diana’s butler Paul Burrell, who have embarrassed the palace and enriched themselves through the sale of royal memorabilia and secrets.
- Kate will wear ghost of Diana on hand: Ex-butler - Apr 26, 2011
- Prince William preparing to wed Kate Middleton, says Diana's former butler - Aug 15, 2010
- Princess Diana's former butler 'wants to patch up with William' - Nov 22, 2010
- Stalker threatens to kill Princess Diana's butler - Aug 20, 2012
- Queen bans staff from revealing royal family snippets - Dec 28, 2008
- Princess Diana's palace opens to public - Mar 26, 2012
- Spanish royals cut their own pay - Jul 18, 2012
- Di's ex-butler to be joined by wife in Florida? - Jan 02, 2010
- Move over Barbie! Kate Middleton doll is here - Mar 13, 2011
- Princess Di has concluded her death was a 'well-planned accident': Psychic - Aug 31, 2010
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge post wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- WillKat wedding helped palace earn 42 mn pounds - Jul 27, 2011
- Spain's king earns 244,000 pounds a year - Dec 29, 2011
- Queen's granddaughter to marry soon - Dec 21, 2010
- Situation vacant for chauffeur worth the Royals - Aug 15, 2012