Queen Elizabeth “displeased” with MPs’ expenses scandalMay 17th, 2009 - 3:30 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 17 (ANI): As the astounding disclosure in Britain’s parliamentary expenses scam continues to roll out names, Queen Elizabeth has expressed her “dismay” privately.
“Her Majesty has made clear her displeasure at what she has learnt. She is concerned about the effect that it is having on Parliament’s standing,” The Telegraph quoted a courtier, as saying.
The courtier, a former senior Palace official, adds of the MPs’ behaviour: “It goes against everything she believes in.”
Last Wednesday, Prime Minister Gordon Brown had an audience with Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace. It is not known, however, whether the growing furore was discussed.
The Queen also held a Council at the Palace that day, attended by Jack Straw, the Lord Chancellor and Justice Secretary, and Hazel Blears, the Communities Secretary, who have been criticized for their dubious expense claims.
Some political experts have predicted that the Queen might advise the Prime Minister to call an immediate general election, but the courtier claims it was unlikely.
Kenneth Rose, the historian with close links to the Palace, says he is not surprised to hear of the Queen’s views.
“I have no doubt at all that, privately, she finds the kind of expenses claims that we have seen documented absolutely appalling,” he says. (ANI)
- Royals feared attack on Prince Charles at Diana's funeral - Jan 17, 2011
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth II found movies dreadful - Nov 07, 2010
- Queen furious over Tony Blair memoirs - Sep 04, 2010
- Royals feared Prince Charles would be attacked at Diana's funeral - Jan 17, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth's Christmas message to focus on family - Dec 25, 2011
- Queen offers to share Buckingham Palace with Wills, Kate - Jan 15, 2011
- Cobra beer to add froth at British queen's diamond jubilee event - Apr 18, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth great grandmom again - Mar 31, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth furious at fascist British leader for 'disgracing' Churchill's name - Oct 25, 2009
- Queen Elizabeth II recycles her clothes! - Mar 20, 2010
- Cobra creates Queen's portrait using just beer and spices - May 29, 2012
- Prince Harry is planning to host an after-party breakfast - Apr 25, 2011
- Kate Middleton's first lesson is learning when to curtsey to whom - May 02, 2011
- Queen's diamond jubilee celebration kicks off - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: buckingham palace, courtier, disclosure, dismay, displeasure, furore, general election, gordon brown, hazel, historian, jack straw, lord chancellor, majesty, no doubt, parliament, political experts, prime minister gordon brown, queen elizabeth, scandal, telegraph