Quake felt 70 km from Iranian nuclear plantFebruary 5th, 2012 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) An earthquake measuring 5 on the Richter scale was felt some 70 km from Iran’s Bushehr nuclear power plant, the US Geological Survey reported Sunday. There were no reports of any casualties or damage to the nuclear power plant, which is expected to go online March 20.
The earthquake, which struck at 06.10 GMT, had its epicentre recorded at a depth of 10 km.
The plant’s construction began in 1975 by German companies. However, the firms stopped work after a US embargo was imposed on high-technology supplies to Iran following the 1979 Islamic Revolution and the subsequent US embassy siege in Tehran.
Russia signed a contract with Iran in February 1998 to complete the plant.
Iran had witnessed its deadliest temblor in June 1990, which measured 7.7 points on the Richter scale. About 37,000 people were killed and more than 100,000 injured in the northern provinces of Gilan and Zanjan. The quake devastated 27 towns and about 1,870 villages, IRNA news agency said.
- 90 killed in Iran quake - Aug 12, 2012
- 250 killed, 1,800 injured in Iran quakes - Aug 12, 2012
- 300 killed in twin quakes in Iran (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Iran's first n-plant to come online Aug 21 - Aug 13, 2010
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Japan n-plant in emergency shutdown - Mar 11, 2011
- Iran's n-plant to reach full capacity in February - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran's n-plant launch delayed - May 30, 2012
- Iranian first n-plant running at 'full capacity' - Sep 01, 2012
- 'Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant can resist quakes' - Mar 15, 2011
- Iran n-plant to switch to full capacity in May - May 04, 2012
- Iran's Bushehr n-plant almost ready: Russia - Jun 19, 2011
- Russia-made amphibious plane crashes in Iran - Jul 30, 2012
- Iran's Bushehr n-plant to begin operations in 2012 - May 15, 2012
- Iran to get full control of Bushehr in December - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,