Qinghai-Tibet railway extension construction to begin soonJanuary 19th, 2008 - 1:40 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Jan.19 (ANI): Tibet plans to invest 28 billion Yuan (3.7 billion U.S. dollars) in ten key construction projects this year, including an extension of the Qinghai-Tibet Railway, said Qiangba Puncog, the chairman of the Tibet Autonomous Region.
The 254-km extension line, which links the two largest cities in Tibet - Lhasa and Xigaze - is the first feeder line for the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. Construction is expected to begin this year and be completed in 2010, at a cost of 11 billion Yuan (1.42 billion U.S. dollars), reports The China Daily.
Located in the southwestern region of Tibet, and bordering Nepal, Bhutan and India, Xigaze is 280 km southwest of Lhasa.
The Qinghai-Tibet Railway, running 1,956 kilometres from Xining city in Qinghai Province to Lhasa in Tibet, was officially put into operation in July 2006. It will be the highest railway in the world.
Nine other projects are also expected to start this year, including the Zangmu Hydropower Station on the Yarlung Zangbo River, the water control project in Pundo County and the renovation of the Sichuan-Tibet Highway. (ANI)
- China begins extension of Tibet railway - Sep 27, 2010
- Qinghai-Tibet railway carries 6.5 mn people in 2011 - Jan 03, 2012
- India paying 'special attention' to China border - Aug 23, 2012
- China plans to build world's highest airport in Tibet - Jan 12, 2010
- Climate change threatening Qinghai-Tibet plateau - Mar 27, 2010
- Self-immolations in Tibet politically motivated: Lawmaker - May 16, 2012
- China opens fourth airport in Tibet - Jul 01, 2010
- China has built 58,000 km roads, five airfields in Tibet: Antony - Mar 07, 2011
- Tibet's fifth civil airport to be operational in October - Apr 10, 2010
- Chinese build airport in Mount Everest region - Apr 12, 2010
- Astronomical observatory to come up in Tibet - Apr 13, 2012
- Tibet to start its first expressway by May next year - Dec 14, 2010
- China inaugurates first international luxury hotel in Tibet - Nov 02, 2010
- China plans to protect Tibetan cultural relics - Mar 02, 2012
- China to spend $630 bn on railways in 2012 - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: china daily, construction projects, feeder line, hydropower station, jan 19, kilometres, largest cities, nepal bhutan, New Delhi, qinghai tibet railway, railway construction, renovation, sichuan, southwest, southwestern region, tibet autonomous region, tibet lhasa, water control, xigaze, yuan