Qantas engine suffers another ‘low engine failure’January 16th, 2011 - 1:30 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Jan 16 (ANI): Qantas Flight QF11 failed to take off to Los Angeles on Saturday after one of its engines suffered a complete failure. There were 344 passengers onboard.
News.com.au quoted passengers as saying that they heard a “loud bang” and later noticed black smoke coming out of the damaged engine.
The captain then reportedly announced over the intercom that the engine was completely damaged.
A Qantas spokeswoman said the plane was cleared for take-off when its engine failed.
“As it was taxiing for take-off, it had a low-speed engine failure of the number one engine. There was a noise and an indication in the cockpit … it was a contained engine failure, there was no fire,” she said.
The passengers were transferred to another aircraft, which took off at 7.38pm.
Qantas had to ground its entire A380 fleet in November last year after one of the Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines exploded mid-air shortly after take-off from Singapore.
The total cost of grounding its entire fleet of A380s, and replacing 16 of the A380 engines, has been estimated at 80 million dollars. (ANI)
- Qantas' flight woes continue as fault forces US-bound jet to divert to Fiji - Jan 19, 2011
- Potential manufacturing defect blamed for Qantas' A380 Rolls Royce engines' blasts - Dec 02, 2010
- Rolls-Royce engine worries continue for Qantas' A380 fleet - Dec 09, 2010
- Qantas' woes continue as 'scary' cockpit fire forces Sydney-bound jet to divert to Cairns - Mar 24, 2011
- After all clear, Qantas to resume A380 flights to US - Jan 12, 2011
- Qantas A380 flight passengers 'very very lucky' plane didn't explode: Expert - Nov 19, 2010
- Qantas Airways' engine crisis continues - Nov 13, 2010
- Qantas plane forced to return after bird strike - Nov 17, 2010
- Qantas grounds entire A380 fleet after Singapore emergency landing - Nov 04, 2010
- Qantas' woes continue, jet returns to Sydney - Nov 15, 2010
- Qantas A380 Flight Service Returns To Normalcy - Nov 27, 2010
- Qantas to resume some Airbus A380 flights from Saturday following engine scares - Nov 23, 2010
- Qantas A380 flight pilots faced 'unprecedented' failures before emergency landing - Nov 19, 2010
- Now, Qantas 747 forced to return back to Sydney following electrical system problem - Nov 15, 2010
- Rolls-Royce finds cause of Qantas A380 engine failure - Nov 12, 2010